none
I want to paste formulas in a range using VBA RRS feed

• Question

• I want to paste formulas in Z6:Z100

=IF(COUNTIFS($B$6:$B6,$B6,$D$6:$D6,$D6,$E$6:$E6,$E6,$F$6:$F6,$F6,$G$6:$G6,$G6) >1, "Duplicate row", "")

and tried like below,

Private Sub CheckBox1_Click()

If CheckBox1.Value = True Then
    Sheet15.range(Z6).Value ="=IF(COUNTIFS($B$6:$B6,$B6,$D$6:$D6,$D6,$E$6:$E6,$E6,$F$6:$F6,$F6,$G$6:$G6,$G6) >1, Duplicate row", ""& """&)"""

Sheet15.range(Z7).Value= "=IF(COUNTIFS($B$6:$B7,$B7,$D$6:$D7,$D7,$E$6:$E7,$E7,$F$6:$F7,$F7,$G$6:$G7,$G7) >1, Duplicate row", ""& """&)"""

Else
    Sheet15.range("z6").Value = "" 'UnCheck

Sheet15.range("z7").Value = "" 'UnCheck

End If
    EndSub

Can any one help ?,

using Command button also helpful for me.

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, June 23, 2018 2:02 PM

Answers

• I deleted my previous reply because I have written the code to be generic to the worksheet that contains the control.

I have included 2 examples of code. One for use with a Checkbox and another for a Command button.

Controls need to be ActiveX controls and the code goes in the worksheet module for the worksheet that has the Checkbox or Command button.

The UDF (User Defined Function) is required for whichever example you use. The reason for the UDF is that it finds the last used row for the columns B:G irrespective of whether all of the columns have data all the way to the bottom.

Code modified Oct 10, 2018 to fix problem encountered by OP.

Dim wsData As Worksheet
        Dim wsFormulas As Worksheet
        Dim r As Long       'Last row of data
        Dim strWS As String

Set wsData = Worksheets("Sheet1")       'Edit "Sheet1" to sheet name CONTAINING source data
        Set wsFormulas = Worksheets("Sheet2")   'Edit "Sheet2" to sheet name to which formulas are created

strWS = wsData.Name & "!"               'Data worksheet name with exclamation mark separator for COUNTIF formula

With wsData
                r = LastRowOrCol(True, .Columns("B:G"))    'Get the last used row in the source data
            End With

With wsFormulas
                .Range(.Cells(6, "Z"), .Cells(.Rows.Count, "Z")).ClearContents    'Clear the contents of the formula column

'Note: Space and Undersocre at end of line is a line break
                       'in an otherwise single line of code
                .Cells(6, "Z").Formula = "=IF(COUNTIFS(" & strWS & "$B$6:$B$" & r & _
                                        "," & strWS & "$B6," & strWS & "$D$6:$D$" & r & _
                                        "," & strWS & "$D6," & strWS & "$E$6:$E$" & r & _
                                        "," & strWS & "$E6," & strWS & "$F$6:$F$" & r & _
                                        "," & strWS & "$F6," & strWS & "$G$6:$G$" & r & _
                                        "," & strWS & "$G6) >1, ""Duplicate row"", """")"

.Cells(6, "Z").Copy Destination:=.Range(.Cells(7, "Z"), .Cells(r, "Z"))
            End With
        Else
            With wsFormulas
                .Range(.Cells(6, "Z"), .Cells(.Rows.Count, "Z")).ClearContents  'Removes formulas
            End With
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
        Dim wsData As Worksheet
        Dim strWS As String

Set wsData = Worksheets("Sheet1")       'Edit "Sheet1" to sheet name CONTAINING source data

Set wsFormulas = Worksheets("Sheet2")   'Edit "Sheet2" to sheet name to which formulas are created

strWS = wsData.Name & "!"               'Data worksheet name with exclamation mark separator for COUNTIF formula

With CommandButton1
            If .Caption = "Identify Dublicates" Then
                With wsData
                    r = LastRowOrCol(True, .Columns("B:G"))    'Get the last used row in the source data
                End With

With wsFormulas
                    .Range(.Cells(6, "Z"), .Cells(.Rows.Count, "Z")).ClearContents    'Clear the contents of the formula column

End With
                .Caption = "Remove Formulas"
            Else
                With wsFormulas
                    .Range(.Cells(6, "Z"), .Cells(.Rows.Count, "Z")).ClearContents  'Removes formulas
                End With
               .Caption = "Identify Dublicates"
            End If
        End With
    End Sub

Function LastRowOrCol(bolRowOrCol As Boolean, Optional rng As Range) As Long
        'Finds the last used row or column in a worksheet
        'First parameter is True for Last Row or False for last Column
        'Third parameter is optional
        'Must be specified if not ActiveSheet

Dim lngRowCol As Long
        Dim rngToFind As Range

If rng Is Nothing Then
            Set rng = ActiveSheet.Cells
        End If

If bolRowOrCol Then
            lngRowCol = xlByRows
        Else
            lngRowCol = xlByColumns
        End If

With rng
            Set rngToFind = rng.Find(What:="*", _
                    LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
                    LookAt:=xlPart, _
                    SearchOrder:=lngRowCol, _
                    SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _
                    MatchCase:=False)
        End With

If Not rngToFind Is Nothing Then
            If bolRowOrCol Then
                LastRowOrCol = rngToFind.Row
            Else
                LastRowOrCol = rngToFind.Column
            End If
        End If

End Function

Regards, OssieMac

Monday, June 25, 2018 2:11 AM
  • Dim rngData was left over from earlier code testing on this project and I forgot to remove it after deciding not to use it.

Change the problem line to the following. Removes the End(xlUp) because if only the header is there then xlUp goes to the header cell and then it gets cleared. Leaving out the End(xlUp) now clears from row 6 to the bottom of the worksheet but that should not cause a problem.

With wsFormulas

Regards, OssieMac

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:04 PM

All replies

• Please confirm if you are trying to identify the duplicate rows in the range Z6:G100 because I have assumed that is what you are attempting to do and if so, the formula you have is incorrect and I have changed it.

Is the data being tested for duplicates on Sheet15? If not, the following code example needs to be changed to include the worksheet name where the test for duplicates is being done.

Using the command button is basically the same as the first part of the If code. However, please confirm if you want to used the same command button to identify the duplicates with inserted formulas and then to remove the formulas. If this is required then we will need to change the caption on the command button. 

Range("Z6").Formula = "=IF(COUNTIFS($B$6:$B$100,$B6,$D$6:$D$100,$D6,$E$6:$E$100,$E6,$F$6:$F$100,$F6,$G$6:$G$100,$G6) >1, ""Duplicate row"", """")"
            Range("Z6").Copy Destination:=Range("Z7:Z100")
        Else
            Range("Z6:Z100").ClearContents    'Removes formulas if CheckBox is False.
        End If
    End Sub

To use a Command button then create the command button and then use the following code. Don't worry about the initial caption on the command button when you create it because the first time you click it, the caption will be replaced and then it will alternate between "Identify Dublicates" and "Remove Formulas". so that each time you click it then it will perform the opposite function.

With CommandButton1
                Range("Z6").Formula = "=IF(COUNTIFS($B$6:$B$100,$B6,$D$6:$D$100,$D6,$E$6:$E$100,$E6,$F$6:$F$100,$F6,$G$6:$G$100,$G6) >1, ""Duplicate row"", """")"
                Range("Z6").Copy Destination:=Range("Z7:Z100")
            Else
               Range("Z6:Z100").ClearContents  'Removes formulas
            End If
        End With
    End Sub

Regards, OssieMac

Sunday, June 24, 2018 2:31 AM
  • Thanks a lot it works, and one more thing the range Z6:Z100 exactly I don't want to paste formulas in all cells, it depends on the other column cells range count, for example I have A6:A20 only the cells contains data, so here I want only to paste formulas Z6:Z20 and if A6:A50 only the cells contains data, so here I want only to paste formulas Z6:Z50. And your observation is exactly true "Is the data being tested for duplicates on Sheet15? ", the required data is in sheet1 and it should be formulas pasted in sheet2.

Thanks OssieMac

Sunday, June 24, 2018 3:12 PM
  • I deleted my previous reply because I have written the code to be generic to the worksheet that contains the control.

I have included 2 examples of code. One for use with a Checkbox and another for a Command button.

Controls need to be ActiveX controls and the code goes in the worksheet module for the worksheet that has the Checkbox or Command button.

The UDF (User Defined Function) is required for whichever example you use. The reason for the UDF is that it finds the last used row for the columns B:G irrespective of whether all of the columns have data all the way to the bottom.

Code modified Oct 10, 2018 to fix problem encountered by OP.

Dim wsData As Worksheet
        Dim strWS As String

With wsData
            End With

With wsFormulas

End With
        Else
            With wsFormulas
            End With
        End If
    End Sub

Dim wsData As Worksheet
        Dim strWS As String

With CommandButton1
                With wsData
                End With

With wsFormulas

End With
            Else
                With wsFormulas
                End With
            End If
        End With
    End Sub

Function LastRowOrCol(bolRowOrCol As Boolean, Optional rng As Range) As Long
        'Finds the last used row or column in a worksheet
        'First parameter is True for Last Row or False for last Column
        'Third parameter is optional
        'Must be specified if not ActiveSheet

Dim lngRowCol As Long
        Dim rngToFind As Range

If rng Is Nothing Then
            Set rng = ActiveSheet.Cells
        End If

If bolRowOrCol Then
            lngRowCol = xlByRows
        Else
            lngRowCol = xlByColumns
        End If

With rng
            Set rngToFind = rng.Find(What:="*", _
                    LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
                    LookAt:=xlPart, _
                    SearchOrder:=lngRowCol, _
                    SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _
                    MatchCase:=False)
        End With

If Not rngToFind Is Nothing Then
            If bolRowOrCol Then
                LastRowOrCol = rngToFind.Row
            Else
                LastRowOrCol = rngToFind.Column
            End If
        End If

End Function

Regards, OssieMac

Monday, June 25, 2018 2:11 AM
  • Everything is Good, But I didn't catch the Dim rngData.

And also here is I am getting trouble 

With wsFormulas
                    .Range(.Cells(6, "Z"), .Cells(.Rows.Count, "Z").End(xlUp)).ClearContents    'Clear the contents of the formula column

In my destination sheet cell "Z5" have some data (Header) is also deleting and after re-Using the code.

Regards, Harsha

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 2:12 PM
  • Dim rngData was left over from earlier code testing on this project and I forgot to remove it after deciding not to use it.

Change the problem line to the following. Removes the End(xlUp) because if only the header is there then xlUp goes to the header cell and then it gets cleared. Leaving out the End(xlUp) now clears from row 6 to the bottom of the worksheet but that should not cause a problem.

With wsFormulas

Regards, OssieMac

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:04 PM