Advantages and Disadvantages of different methodologies of BLL RRS feed

• Question

• I joined a new working place where a guy ,so called team-lead, has designed a framework!!! His framework contains a class of utility functions (for Creawtign connectin transaction etc) and Base class to interact with database and base class for objects ...

I told him to why not utilize typed dataset approach or generics ... and he asked advantages and disadvantages ... puff...

can any one help me?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:47 AM

Answers

• MQP!

That's a very big question to ask, and one that I'd imagine would be a difficult process to fight.  difficult question to answer without the knowledge of what is already existing.  New technology does not necessarily mean better technology, it's just different.

I would suggest taking things a step at a time, if there's something that can work better, approach and detail the pros and cons of that approach, and compare and contrast with what is currently existing.  Are you concerned about performance, useability, coupling, etc., etc.

What are the requirements of the system?  Is there a reason to suspect that the approach currently being used is not up to scratch, and if so, why?  Then look at what could be used to improve the situation, as you might find that your ideas converge, and in that way you come up with an improved solution. 

Generics and datasets are only parts that would make up a particular aspect of the system, it is also how you use the technology that gives rise to a good solution.

I hope that helps you out a little.  I know it wasn't exactly the question that you asked, but hopefully will allow you a little more harmony, and a common interest with your team leader in producing good solutions to problems.  At the end of the day, that's what we're all here for!

Good luck,

Martin Platt.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:01 AM
  • HI MQP,

I think you need to try and learn what you can from the framework you mention. The default dinky controls and Typed Datasets of ASP.NET are ok for a PHP style of site, with logic tending to be embedded in the GUI, but once you scale upwards then a more robust solution will be much much easier to work with. I presume that this is where the other guy is coming from. I like the sound of it actually.

1. This is a good book about ASP and using a layered approach: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution

http://www.amazon.com/ASP-NET-2-0-Website-Programming-Programmer/dp/0764584642/ref=sr_1_1/104-0320033-1427969?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187705995&sr=8-1

2. Try this http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-22-5107664.html

3. Check out the excellent reply by this person: J. Ambrose Little , in this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2018210&SiteID=1

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 2:32 PM

All replies

• MQP!

That's a very big question to ask, and one that I'd imagine would be a difficult process to fight.  difficult question to answer without the knowledge of what is already existing.  New technology does not necessarily mean better technology, it's just different.

I would suggest taking things a step at a time, if there's something that can work better, approach and detail the pros and cons of that approach, and compare and contrast with what is currently existing.  Are you concerned about performance, useability, coupling, etc., etc.

What are the requirements of the system?  Is there a reason to suspect that the approach currently being used is not up to scratch, and if so, why?  Then look at what could be used to improve the situation, as you might find that your ideas converge, and in that way you come up with an improved solution. 

Generics and datasets are only parts that would make up a particular aspect of the system, it is also how you use the technology that gives rise to a good solution.

I hope that helps you out a little.  I know it wasn't exactly the question that you asked, but hopefully will allow you a little more harmony, and a common interest with your team leader in producing good solutions to problems.  At the end of the day, that's what we're all here for!

Good luck,

Martin Platt.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:01 AM
  • I agree with you!

Can you provide me some fruitful links to learn about these things... Google helps but not gurantee quality materials.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:10 AM
  • You should have a look at ARCast, by Ron Jacobs, he does some good podcasts, and from there, if you can't find information, it's probably not worth knowing!

There's also http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/skyscrapr/default.aspx which is another useful resource.

Note that these are both Microsoft focussed, so you may need to scout around within these links for further information.

The IBM site might be another place to consider.

I hope that helps get you started,

All the best,

Martin Platt.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:13 AM
  • I would definitely look at the code generation option which has worked very well in our company. There are many types of code  generators from my experience, generating custom code has proven to be a great time saver and great for application performance as opposed to using a generic framework.

A great place to start would be http://www.nettiers.net/ which is a template based code generator built on the Codesmith engine.

Template based generators give you the following advantages:

1. The ability to customize the generated code either through changing the templates or passing parameters to the templates.

2. Templates are easy to learn and produce, and you will find a lot of repetitive code you write being turned into templates.

3. Templates like Nettiers have a large supportive community behind them.

The following are the disadvantages:

1. Code is generated on a "one size fits all" paradigm, but you can get over this by having multiple templates for multiple situations.

2. Developers tend to depend heavily on the template and sometimes get a bit too lazy to apply even minor changes themselves.

There is also the latest project from the ADO.NET team called Astoria  but this still seems to be in the experimental phase.

I hope this was helpful.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 1:30 PM
  • HI MQP,

I think you need to try and learn what you can from the framework you mention. The default dinky controls and Typed Datasets of ASP.NET are ok for a PHP style of site, with logic tending to be embedded in the GUI, but once you scale upwards then a more robust solution will be much much easier to work with. I presume that this is where the other guy is coming from. I like the sound of it actually.

1. This is a good book about ASP and using a layered approach: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution

http://www.amazon.com/ASP-NET-2-0-Website-Programming-Programmer/dp/0764584642/ref=sr_1_1/104-0320033-1427969?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187705995&sr=8-1

2. Try this http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-22-5107664.html

3. Check out the excellent reply by this person: J. Ambrose Little , in this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2018210&SiteID=1

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 2:32 PM
  •  

Hi...

From my Experiance....

Using Custom Classes instead of typed dataset has more options for customization....

And Its more flexible to write the particulare object's events....

It wlll minimize the code writing

If I'm missing something and quoted something wrong please correct Me

Regards

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:24 PM