none
A few questions about shared add-in deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I have been developing a shared add-in for Office in the last week and I'm finding some problems related to its deployment. I've read many threads in this forum related to the deployment of add-ins, but still I'm not sure my questions are answered, so I'll post them there hoping anyone can provide a clear answer. First, please consider I'm a total newbie in this matter and, while I have some experience in software development, I have almost none in deployment. So, here it goes:

1. How can I develop a shared-addin (let's say for Office 2010) without having a dependency with Office Primary Interop Assemblies? I thought this wasn't possible, but I recently installed Acrobat 8 and this program registers a COM addin that's loaded from Word 2010 without having installed the PIAs, so it seems that this goal is not entirely impossible.

2. How can I remove the dependency with .Net Framework? I'm not really using .Net classes, I just wrote my addin in C# because it's an easier language, but I'm willing to write it in C++ if it removes the dependency.

3. Can I have the same shared addin working under Office 2003, 2007 and 2010? If so, how can I use the Office Ribbon in Office 2007 and 2010 but ignoring it in 2003?

4. How can I register my addin in the deployment machine without using an installer. I know it can be done by registering the addin DLL and adding some registry entries, but I just don't know how to do it.

5. Is there any way to prevent my addin to be disabled by the user from the Office COM Addins dialog?

This is pretty much everything. Right now I'm being forced to distribute .NET framework and Office PIAs and to use a windows installer when all I want is to register the addin in an easier way. I know my questions might not be easy to answer, but still I will appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Regards.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:16 PM

All replies