none
are there any problems caused by installing .net framework 1.1 and .net framework 3.5 on the same machine? RRS feed

• Question

• I have Biztalk 2006 R2 and .NET Framework 3.5 installed on Windows XP SP2.

I am planning to evaluate TopXML's BTSUtilities Messaging Adapter and the XMS Adapter for Biztalk 2006 R2. But Enterprise Instrumentation needs to be installed first. This requires .NET Framework 1.1.

I really do not want to uninstall .NET 3.5! Are there any problems associated with .NET framework 1.1 and .NET framework 3.5 co-existing on the same machine? If so what are the workarounds, if any? Are there any reasons why I should not do this?

Thanks

Jose

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:32 AM

Answers

• I have seen many, many people reporting problems when a previous version of the .NET framework's service packs are applied out of order. When an older service pack is installed (like the .NET 2 SP installed over .NET 3.5), some of the COM+ processes get mixed up. Usually it is ok to go through the Add/Remove programs control panel and do a repair on the most recent version to resolve the versioning issues. I have usually seen IIS or SQL Server errors for when this problem occurs.

The base version of the .NET framework for verison 1.1 should already exist on your machine if you have .NET 3.5 installed.

Thanks,

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:19 PM