Tablet PC Keyboard RRS feed

• Question

• We are having problems with tablet PCs in our Silverlight 2 and 3 applications. When a user clicks on a textbox, a tablet pc will pop up a keyboard that can be used with the stylus. This is how all webforms and windows apps work. Somehow the Silverlight textbox does not cause this to happen. The keyboard does work, but you have to manually select it. It doesn't happen automatically like it does with a textbox on a aspx or html page.

Does anyone have an idea why this is so?

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:47 PM

Answers

• I ran into this problem too when we developed a Silverlight 2 app for a Dell tablet (Windows XP).  The reason is simple, the keyboard can interpret the focus is a text box when it is HTML and not when its inside the Silverlight plug-in.  From what I understand Windows 7 and IE 8 or 9 will provide this support...I saw this online somewhere.  Windows 7 is supposed to support next-gen gestures and input...haven't tried if it works.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:18 PM

All replies

• I ran into this problem too when we developed a Silverlight 2 app for a Dell tablet (Windows XP).  The reason is simple, the keyboard can interpret the focus is a text box when it is HTML and not when its inside the Silverlight plug-in.  From what I understand Windows 7 and IE 8 or 9 will provide this support...I saw this online somewhere.  Windows 7 is supposed to support next-gen gestures and input...haven't tried if it works.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Thanks I will have our client give that a try to see if it works.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:22 PM