none
TCP/IP settings for SQL 2012

Question

• Hi,

I am configuring new SQL 2012 cluster environment in Windows 2012 R2. I have question about the public interface configurations. From Network and Sharing Center > click an interface > Properties > double click IPv4 > Advanced > DNS Tab. I know private interfaces like heartbeat and replications that "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" should be turned off but for public interface, is this checkbox required by SQL or can it be turned off?

I am using static IPs and hostnames for this entire cluster so it will always be there and not changing.

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:25 PM

Answers

• just to close this thread, I was able to talk to Microsoft support and they confirmed it is okay to turn it off so long as i am using static IPs.
    • Marked as answer by skimiks Friday, April 28, 2017 4:21 PM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi skimiks,

>>I know private interfaces like heartbeat and replications that "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" should be turned off

From what I’m aware this should be turned on public NICs, otherwise you might running into (DNS)trouble after failover.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:08 AM
  • Hi Lin,

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I will still run into DNS problem even if I have static IP and hostname assignment?

Can you please give me an example what kind of DNS problem I might run into without this checked?

thanks!

Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:25 PM
  • just to close this thread, I was able to talk to Microsoft support and they confirmed it is okay to turn it off so long as i am using static IPs.
    • Marked as answer by skimiks Friday, April 28, 2017 4:21 PM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 4:21 PM