Screen sharing in Windows 8.1 RT

General discussion

• In older days, we could capture a handle to device context (HDC) in GD+ application to implement screen sharing feature. Or at the abstract/higher level, we could use remote desktop API in client OS.

Starting from Windows 8 / Server 2012, we have this enhanced Desktop Duplication API. If the client is running Windows RT on ARM arch, can we still consume this API in Modern desktop / Store apps?

Since apps like TeamViewer and Skype do not let the us share screen on Windows 8.1 (on Surface 2 formerly known as winRT) and Windows Phone (gdr3), by any change is it supported in OS but isn't used by any app yet?

- a citizen of Microsoft Developer Network.

Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:36 PM

All replies

• No, the Desktop Duplication API is desktop only. You can look at the bottom of the documentation for the specific interfaces and functions to see where they can be used. Here's a clip from the IDXGIOutputDuplication page.

Custom desktop apps are not supported on Windows RT.

BTW: Surface 2 is not formally known as WinRT. "WinRT" is usually shorthand for the "Windows Runtime" which is used on both Windows 8/8.1 and on Windows RT. "Windows RT" is the Windows operating system which runs on ARM devices. Surface RT and Surface 2 are specific devices which use the Windows RT OS.

--Rob

Saturday, November 09, 2013 10:37 PM
    Owner
  • having such api would be really great for windows store apps. and also for lync and Skype.

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Saturday, November 09, 2013 10:53 PM
  • Interested to know what use case you would envisage here.

For a Store app to share its portion of the screen or the whole screen?

I could imagine some challenges around app capabilities and privacy concerns if it was the latter.

Thanks

Doug

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:53 PM
  • well having the api gives Skype and Lync the chance to implement it.... really missing it in those apps. Makes me fallback now on desktop apps...

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:54 PM
  • Ok, thanks for the feedback Dave. I've passed it on to the relevant team.

Regards

Doug

Friday, November 15, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Interested to know what use case you would envisage here.

For a Store app to share its portion of the screen or the whole screen?

I could imagine some challenges around app capabilities and privacy concerns if it was the latter.

Thanks

Doug

If we have this ability in classic desktop, then how would the same capability result in privacy concern in modern desktop? Perhaps the WinRT API can provide screen sharing contract like notifications and location, which can be turned on/off by user.

Btw, what kind of security does the win32 API provide if the third party application request screen capture? Is it like any spyware/Trojan or background app can capture screen without any check? I hope not..

@Rob Caplan, thanks for explaining the difference. :)

- a citizen of Microsoft Developer Network.

Friday, November 15, 2013 7:05 PM
  • desktop is unsafe and in all api's for winrt this is solved. i think the suggested approach with a contract / broked api would be good solution.

Friday, November 15, 2013 7:07 PM