none
Using OLEDB to read Excel spreadsheets RRS feed

• Question

• Let me give a little background on what I need to do:

I have a 32-bit and 64-bit version of a DLL that is loaded in-process with another application. It needs to read Excel files. The architecture of the DLL must match the hosting application.

That being said, I need to read any Excel file from any version 1997-2013, hopefully with ACE.OLEDB drivers.

These questions come to mind:

1) Can I use a 32-bit OLEDB driver to access Excel files if Office is 64-bit?

2) Can I use a 64-bit OLEDB driver to access Excel files if Office is 32-bit?

3) Will the Access redistributable work if Office is not installed?

Solutions must keep in mind that the hosting application can only load DLLS that match it's architecture i.e. 32-bit on 32-bit and 64-bit on 64-bit ... and that the hosting application architecture may not match Office.

I don't need a code solution, but rather guidance in making the correct deployment decisions in the installation application.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 7:01 AM

Answers

• >>>These questions come to mind:

1) Can I use a 32-bit OLEDB driver to access Excel files if Office is 64-bit?

2) Can I use a 64-bit OLEDB driver to access Excel files if Office is 32-bit?

3) Will the Access redistributable work if Office is not installed?

<<<

1)You can't use a 32-bit OLEDB driver to access Excel files if Office is 64-bit. Since the 32-bit provider might not exist on a 64-bit Office installation.

2)You can't use a 64-bit OLEDB driver to access Excel files if Office is 32-bit, but installing the 2010 64-bit ACE engine on a machine with 32-bit Office already installed can lead to some wacky behavior.

3)The Access redistributable will work if Office is not installed, since Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable will install a set of components that can be used to facilitate transfer of data between 2010 Microsoft Office System files and non-Microsoft Office applications.

For more information, click here to refer about Using 32-bit and 64-bit ACE Providers section

• Edited by David_JunFeng Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:59 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:45 AM