none
My Kinect application has stoped working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have developed a RSS news reader. The user can browse the news with Kinect. The application is installed on a laptop hidden in the ceiling, and it is connected to a TV and a Kinect device.

The problem is that for three days I had to restart the application because it stopped working. The reason it stops working is a problem with the drivers of Kinect and Kinect device seems to be off (Kinect green led is not lit). To make the application work again, I have to stop the application, unplug and plug Kinect (and the green led lights up), and start the application. To do this I have to get on stairs and open the ceiling..., and it is a pain.

Is there any way to disconnect and reconnect the Kinect device or the USB port programmatically in C#?

Operating System: Windows 7
    Kinect SDK: v1.8
    Device: Kinect for Windows

Here application stoped working message box details:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
      Problem Signature 01: kinectrss.exe
      Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 03: 52721699
      Problem Signature 04: Microsoft.Kinect
      Problem Signature 05: 1.8.0.595
      Problem Signature 06: 5213eb67
      Problem Signature 07: 40a
      Problem Signature 08: cb
      Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID: 3082
      Additional Information 1: 0a9e
      Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3: 0a9e
      Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

• Edited by Jon 123 Thursday, December 5, 2013 8:20 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 8:19 AM

Answers

• Kinect for Windows doesn't not provide a way to disconnect the sensor. You would either have to recycle the application process, if it is just a Kinect initialization issue or look at other mechanism's(hardware switch or software) to force the USB host controller to reset.

For the device to re-initialize the driver is must be physically disconnected and reconnected to the usb port.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:24 PM

All replies

• Are you using a Kinect for Windows device or Xbox 360 sensor. Keep in mind the 360 is not supported in non-developer deployments. It seems based on your report, the sensor is falling off the USB port, which is more of a driver port issue. Try another sensor and see if you get the same results. If the behavior consistent, you may have a USB power issue on the machine. Be sure the laptop doesn't go into power saving mode.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:58 AM
  • I'm using K4W device. The problem is that I can't change the Kinect sensor because is all installed in the wall...

My question is not answered: Is there any way to disconnect and reconnect the Kinect device or the USB port programmatically in C#?

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:50 AM
  • Kinect for Windows doesn't not provide a way to disconnect the sensor. You would either have to recycle the application process, if it is just a Kinect initialization issue or look at other mechanism's(hardware switch or software) to force the USB host controller to reset.

For the device to re-initialize the driver is must be physically disconnected and reconnected to the usb port.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:24 PM