In Win 10 technical preview cannot determine the full device display area and aspect ratio; the dimensions are needed to create full-screen bitmap.

Question

• While Windows.Current.Bounds returns the application windows size, in order to create a full-screen bitmap my app would need to retrieve the full display area  of the device. I cannot even get the aspect ratio.

Pre-Win10, using Windows.Current.Bounds I can create a bitmap of whatever size application window the user is seeing. When the user is showing my app at full screen, I can therefore get the full display area and aspect ratio of the device and create a full-screen bitmap.

With Win10, the user would need to know to hide the taskbar and also display at full-screen before an app can retrieve the display area and aspect ratio using Windows.Current.Bounds.

Is there any way to get the display area and aspect ratio of the device without asking the user to fully maximize the application window?

musical9

Monday, January 26, 2015 12:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi musical9,

Development details for Windows 10 have not yet been released.

That said, Windows.Current.Bounds should work essentially the same. On Windows 8.1 the Window does not necessarily take up the full screen either, although it would be more common. Assuming it is full screen to get the display area and aspect ratio still depends on the user setting the that way.

--Rob

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:10 PM
    Owner
  • Rob, Is this forum best way to get my suggestion to the development team?

Before Win10 it's obvious to the user that full-screen is or is not being used. When I create the bitmap, I create it to fit the application window. When the app is displayed full screen, the bitmap will be full screen. Also, the app starts full-screen so I can detect the display area at startup if I need to.

With Win10, to the user the app "looks like" it is full screen with the taskbar displayed even though it's not really full screen.

Yes, Windows.Current.Bounds does work the same, but I believe that in Win10 determining the full display area will be useful and not just the application window.

musical9

Monday, January 26, 2015 3:11 PM
  • Discussion of the Windows 10 Technical Preview should go on the community forums at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp?tab=Threads or in the Windows 10 Technical Preview forums on TechNet.

Once the developer story has been announced the locations for discussing Windows 10 development will be published.

You can make feature requests for Windows Platform Development at http://wpdev.uservoice.com

Monday, January 26, 2015 6:58 PM
    Owner