none
Calling Code in an Application-Level Add-in from VBA RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have been following this how to (in VB.net) to be able to call VSTO code from outside.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb608614(v=vs.100)

When I run the macro from Excel VBA I get the error 438: Property or method not supported by this object on the line 

automationObject.ImportData
    I have already tried adding the line 
    <InterfaceType(ComInterfaceType.InterfaceIsIDispatch)>

like I saw it in the video-how to.

This did not help.

I am running VS2010 and Office 2010 on Win7

Any pointers? Ultimately I want to call an Outlook Addin from Word and Excel. I have found the information that my class then should be derived from StandardOleMarshalObject. Unfortunately I have not been able to find an example of how to do this from VB.net.

Regards, Birgit

Monday, February 4, 2013 1:20 PM

Answers

• well since that was the culprit, editing code would make this whole conversation moot, so leave it there and just mark your own response as answer. As for help regarding marshalling, search a little, here are example

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/andreww/archive/2008/08/11/why-your-comaddin-object-should-derive-from-standardolemarshalobject.aspx?Redirected=true

• Marked as answer by BirgitA Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:05 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:39 AM
  • Dear Damian,

Ok, a stupid mistake :(, sorry. While transfering the code (copy/paste)  to my other machine with Office 2007, I suddenly saw the "End Class" twice behind each other in the code of AddInUtilities. Removed that and worked without any further problems. I was unable to add the dll to the References, so you had a good suggestion there.

Is it an idea to edit the code I posted above to the correct code for the benefit of other people? I can add that the code was changed to be correct.

Can I get help with how to implement the StandardOleMarshalObject in this thread or should I post a new thread?

Cheers, Birgit

Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:21 AM

All replies

• show us your full code from both sides (.net and vba)
    Monday, February 4, 2013 1:30 PM
  • Thanks for looking into this. Here comes

Imports System.Data
    Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices
    Imports Excel = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel

Public Class AddInUtilities
        <ComVisible(True)> _
        <InterfaceType(ComInterfaceType.InterfaceIsIDispatch)>
        Public Interface IAddInUtilities
            Sub ImportData()
        End Interface

<ComVisible(True)> _
        <ClassInterface(ClassInterfaceType.None)> _
            Implements IAddInUtilities

' This method tries to write a string to cell A1 in the active worksheet. 
            Public Sub ImportData() Implements IAddInUtilities.ImportData

Dim activeWorksheet As Excel.Worksheet = Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveSheet

If activeWorksheet IsNot Nothing Then
                    Dim range1 As Excel.Range = activeWorksheet.Range("A1")
                    range1.Value = "This is my data"
                End If
            End Sub
        End Class
    End Class

Public Class ThisAddIn

Private Sub ThisAddIn_Startup() Handles Me.Startup

End Sub

Private Sub ThisAddIn_Shutdown() Handles Me.Shutdown

End Sub

Private utilities As AddInUtilities

Protected Overrides Function RequestComAddInAutomationService() As Object
            If utilities Is Nothing Then
                utilities = New AddInUtilities()
            End If
            Return utilities
        End Function
    End Class

And in thisWorkbook in Excel:

Sub CallVSTOMethod()
        Dim addIn As COMAddIn
        Dim automationObject As Object
        Set addIn = Application.COMAddIns("CallVSTOexample")
        Set automationObject = addIn.Object
        automationObject.ImportData
    End Sub

"CallVSTOexample" is the name of my AddIn.

Cheers, Birgit

Monday, February 4, 2013 1:57 PM
  • remove  <InterfaceType(ComInterfaceType.InterfaceIsIDispatch)> - not necessary and confusing

second - does this vba code run inside the same process that the add-in?

Please try to import your IAddinUtilities into your vba (via Tools-> references) - do you see your add-in class there? try to change declaration of automation object from object to IAddinUtilities (of course after adding reference to it)

Monday, February 4, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Hi Damian

<<second - does this vba code run inside the same process that the add-in?>>

I think the following statement near the end of the original question may be an issue:

"Ultimately I want to call an Outlook Addin from Word and Excel"

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Monday, February 4, 2013 5:43 PM
  • Hi Cindy

'ultimately' - not necesserily now - even then it should be possible with the use of StandardOleMarshalObject that will automatically provide marshalling for STA calls. Let's see how it unravels.

Monday, February 4, 2013 7:28 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

One should be able to call into an Outlook addin from the outside using code that's standalone, running in Word or Excel. I've done it from inside Word and Excel addins in some of my code, as well as from standalone code and even from other Outlook addins.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "Cindy Meister MVP" <=?utf-8?B?Q2luZHkgTWVpc3RlciBNVlA=?=> wrote in message news:b9802d78-df56-4bc9-a206-e4aa931de4a7...

Hi Damian

<<second - does this vba code run inside the same process that the add-in?>>

I think the following statement near the end of the original question may be an issue:

"Ultimately I want to call an Outlook Addin from Word and Excel"

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Dear Damian,

Ok, a stupid mistake :(, sorry. While transfering the code (copy/paste)  to my other machine with Office 2007, I suddenly saw the "End Class" twice behind each other in the code of AddInUtilities. Removed that and worked without any further problems. I was unable to add the dll to the References, so you had a good suggestion there.

Is it an idea to edit the code I posted above to the correct code for the benefit of other people? I can add that the code was changed to be correct.

Can I get help with how to implement the StandardOleMarshalObject in this thread or should I post a new thread?

Cheers, Birgit

Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:21 AM
  • well since that was the culprit, editing code would make this whole conversation moot, so leave it there and just mark your own response as answer. As for help regarding marshalling, search a little, here are example

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/andreww/archive/2008/08/11/why-your-comaddin-object-should-derive-from-standardolemarshalobject.aspx?Redirected=true

• Marked as answer by BirgitA Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:05 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:39 AM
  • Dear Damian,

Thank you very much for your help. I'll look into the link you suggested. Looks very much like the answer to my second question :).

Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:00 PM
  • To complete this:

The correct syntax in VB.net to derive the class from StandardOleMarshalObject is the following:

Inherits StandardOleMarshalObject
        Implements IAddInUtilities

Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:08 PM