none
Access 2010 ADP upgrade to Access 2019 (or anything post 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I know this has been asked many times but I am struggling to find any definitive answer from people who have gone through the same situation.

I have an Access 2010 ADP front end. The database is SQL Server. The connection provider is SQLOLEDB. We use ADODB.Recordset when explicitly obtaining data in code as opposed to when displaying a grid via a simple SELECT ..FROM.. in the forms recordsource.

From what I understand the only real option we have is to upgrade the front end to an accdb project and use linked tables which I would have to look into. Is this correct? I should also point out doing a hybrid version, switching from SQL to Access DB, or starting all over again in dot net are all out of the question for this project. - at least for the time being.

I am also seeing that the Accdb front end would use Web Forms but then I see that Access 2019 does not support these (or it might just be bad info I found), I am concerned and not sure what exactly I would need to create in order to get a UI. Is it a web based front end now or not?

I have a feeling all third party tools that render UI objects will no longer work if it has moved to a web front end, for example we used an old treeview control to display menus , it is not html at all. I assume this is going to be an issue? Anyone had any experience with old third party tools? Maybe you had to get new versions which is a worry when some of them are hard to locate anymore!

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much

Paul

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:09 AM

Answers

All replies

• You have 2 options:

Use a compatible runtime so you don't need to make any changes

Convert the adp to an accdb.  Look over https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/cba21b60-0235-433b-9157-7e055e2e4b41/how-steps-for-convert-an-old-adp-file-to-accdb-in-access-20102013?forum=accessdev

As for web databases/web forms, those are dead/deprecated so ignore that.

This is a development process that will take a bit of time to create a new accdb file based off of te adp file.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2018 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

• Marked as answer by syvers Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:10 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for your reply. I did reply to thank you 2 days ago but I have logged in to discover it hasn't made it on here.

I think you are right about the time factor, to be honest to change it is probably a few months work minimum, especially when there is only one person left to do it, that doesn't even factor in the testing as it is a large product. The problem is clients worrying about the lack of updates from Microsoft after 2020 even though they only use runtimes.

I am trying to find out if the runtimes are backwards compatible, I am guessing that a 2013 onwards would not allow an ADP to run when the runtime is a cut down version of the Access product itself.

Thanks again,

Paul

Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:53 AM