LayoutAwarePage error in 64bit platform

Question

• I'm working on a windows 8.l tablet application which will take pictures and save them to a SQLite database, in order for SQLite to work and connect to the db I am changing the platform target of my application to x64, no other setting works for this to connect, however when I do this I can no longer work on my xaml in design mode without a markup error.
    change to:

target platform= x64:
    markup error on Error 3 The name "LayoutAwarePage" does not exist in the namespace "using:SDKTemplate.Common". 

target platform=x86:
     then the error is a  SQLite error:

An exception of type 'System.BadImageFormatException' occurred in CameraCapture.exe but was not handled in user code
    Additional information: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

is there an sdk with a LayoutAwarePage that works under x64 target platform?

Thanks
    Friday, September 05, 2014 4:10 PM

Answers

• The XAML designer only works in any cpu or x86.  
    Friday, September 05, 2014 11:11 PM
  • Hi DeanO78O

It is not a bug.

Here is a detail explanation for why 64bit does not work in XAML designer: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/eab4fc3c-a77d-41d6-b3dd-48f636d70035/design-view-is-unavailable-for-x64-and-arm-target-platforms?forum=toolsforwinapps

Because the XAML Designer in VS is dealing with actual types and assemblies, and because of the fact that VS is a 32-bit process, we cannot activate types from ARM and x64 binaries. Hence you are seeing this behavior. The workaround is to switch back to x86 or AnyCPU (if managed) when you want to use the XAML design surface (intellisense should continue to work no matter what configuration you choose).

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, September 19, 2014 10:03 AM

All replies

• The XAML designer only works in any cpu or x86.  
    Friday, September 05, 2014 11:11 PM
  • so is that a bug?
    Friday, September 12, 2014 3:50 PM
  • Hi DeanO78O

It is not a bug.

Here is a detail explanation for why 64bit does not work in XAML designer: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/eab4fc3c-a77d-41d6-b3dd-48f636d70035/design-view-is-unavailable-for-x64-and-arm-target-platforms?forum=toolsforwinapps

Because the XAML Designer in VS is dealing with actual types and assemblies, and because of the fact that VS is a 32-bit process, we cannot activate types from ARM and x64 binaries. Hence you are seeing this behavior. The workaround is to switch back to x86 or AnyCPU (if managed) when you want to use the XAML design surface (intellisense should continue to work no matter what configuration you choose).

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, September 19, 2014 10:03 AM