locked
I really need an sql expert for this SQL Merge replication Issue. Please Help! RRS feed

  • Question

  • I really need an Experts help on this!!!  Each time I post this, I seem to get a quick response, but it's a question.  Once I answer the question, I do not get any ferther resonses.  Please Help!

    Currently our application uses SQL Merge Replication to sync data from a Windows Mobile Device to a backend sql server database

    We are experiencing an issue at one client, where the Merge Replication process does not recognize that a date value was updated/changed in a table.  So, this Server database table does not get updated with the updated date after the merge is run.  All other table adds and changes are synced correctly.  There only one field updated in the table record that does not sync.  this one field is a date filed, if that makes any differance.

    The record on the handheld is not recognized as updated and therefore not synced to the server database.  Then it is recognized as updated after it gets updated in the Database and tries to sync back to the handheld, causing the conflict msg.  But this conflict should not have accured if the update would have synced in the first place.

    We are using Filtered publication to cut the amount of data on to the mobile device database. But, the record that is not synced, is not filtered out, otherwise it would not be there in the first palce.  We are simply filtering everything on a location guid which should have no impact.

    We are not able to duplicate this issue internally, this issue is with only one of nine installed instances.  Please Help!  Our customer thinks that our application is garbage, becuase this is not working properly.  Please Help!

    Sqlserverc in our application using the following

    Runtime Version: v2.0.50727

    Version:  v3.0.3600.0

    SqlClient in our application is using..

    v2.0.50727

    v3.0.3600.0

    Thanks,

    Rich Snively

    Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:13 PM

All replies

  • Hi Rich,

    I was able to synchronize after updating a date column on Compact Edition version 3.5.8080.0 successfully.

    Are you able to consistently repro the problem in your test environment?  If so, there are columns used for tracking changes in the base table(s) that you can inspect after making a change to verify whether or not it was tracked.

    For example, if I update a customer in my CE database the __sysCD column gets updated with the time and date the change occurred:

    UPDATE Customer
    SET testDateCol = '1982-09-05'
    WHERE CustomerID = 1

    At the least __sysCD should be updated:

    SELECT __sysCD FROM Customer
    WHERE CustomerID = 1

    If you find that the tracking columns are not updated when a change occurs to your date column then I'd recommend opening a case with Microsoft Support so they can assist in troubleshooting the issue.


    Brandon Williams (blog | linkedin)

    Friday, August 24, 2012 5:04 AM
  • You might also want to try posing this question in the Compact forum to see if Erik has any thoughts on this:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/sqlce/threads

    Brandon Williams (blog | linkedin)

    Friday, August 24, 2012 5:18 AM
  • Hi Rich, you can contact me via my blog, and I can offer to help over Skype or similar.

    Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog

    Friday, August 24, 2012 6:04 AM
  • Thanks for your responses.

    I sent a request, to my client, for him to send me a copy of the handheld (Motorola MC75) database.  Our client is not local to us.  He is a Safety Inspector at Coal Mine in a remote area of Varginia and he spends his work day underground (just adding to our complications).  I hope to have the MObile database early next week.

    Brandon,

    Thanks for the __sysCD info.  I was not aware of this field.  so this is a great start.  If this is not updated, then we need to open a case with Microsoft.

    Erik,

    Thanks for you support offer.  I will contact you next week, once I have the mobile database.  We have not been able to duplicate this issue with our database.  But, we were able to duplicate thie issue on our handheld device with their database.  We were able to bandaid the problem by forcing a update to all of the records on the server, forcing a Sync of all records.  this seemed to resolve the issue, but that was temporary.

    Thanks,

    Rich Snively

    Friday, August 24, 2012 6:03 PM