Is there any HASH API that MS provides and can be used both in Windows App and Windows Phone App?

Question

• Hi, 

I ransack boxes and chests at MSDN to try to find a HASH API that can be used both in Metro app and WP8 app. But there is not.

I just find a WinRT API HashAlgorithmProvider class, but it cannot be used in WP8 app.

I also find some WP8 encrypt APIs: System.Security.Cryptography Namespace, but it cannot be used in Metro app. 

Does any one know such an API?

By the way, where can find MD5 API  in Windows Phone 8?

Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:44 AM

Answers

• As you note, Windows Store apps and Windows Phone apps have different API in this area. They should get the same results for the same algorithms, but (as you note) MD5 isn't listed for phone. Searching on Windows Phone MD5 suggests there are some third party implementations you can try.

For further discussion of Windows Phone API please post in the Developing for Windows Phone forum.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Lattimore Monday, September 23, 2013 1:34 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:06 PM
    Owner

All replies

• As you note, Windows Store apps and Windows Phone apps have different API in this area. They should get the same results for the same algorithms, but (as you note) MD5 isn't listed for phone. Searching on Windows Phone MD5 suggests there are some third party implementations you can try.

For further discussion of Windows Phone API please post in the Developing for Windows Phone forum.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Lattimore Monday, September 23, 2013 1:34 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:06 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for your answer and suggest. 
    Monday, September 23, 2013 1:33 AM