Windows CE device emulator missing in vs2008 RRS feed

• Question

•  Dear all

I have installed vs2008 pro and have created a smart device application for a windows ce target device.

But for debugging I am unable to select a windows ce device emulator. I am only able to select windows mobile or pocket emulators, but not the ce device emulator (only the ce device as real hardware).

How can I emulate my ce device application? What are the steps that need to be done?

Thanks a lot for you answers.

hosick
    Friday, January 2, 2009 4:48 PM

Answers

• Windows CE is a highly customizable OS, thus CE devices can be very different (e.g. there can be headless CE device with no screen at all). Same problem is with emulator – while it is possible to create some generic CE emulator (like it used to be in VS 2003), it’s not going to match the actual device you’re targeting and will be rather useless. Thus there’s no CE emulator anymore in VS.

Normally CE device manufacturer creates an SDK for specific device and includes emulator which matches the device. Then developer installs that SDK and uses that matching emulator for development.

Please contact device manufacturer for an SDK and emulator. If it’s unavailable and you don’t care about matching the device (which might be OK if you’re writing mostly device independent code like math algorithm), then simply use Windows Mobile emulator (which is based on CE) or even use desktop project for debugging. Granted, it’s not going to match the device you’re targeting, but that would be the case with arbitrary CE emulator.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Hosick Monday, January 5, 2009 8:10 AM
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 6:31 PM

All replies

• Did you already install a Windows CE Emulator?
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 1:16 PM
  •  
    Dear Joel

Here is what I have done:

On my system (vista ultimate) I had previously visual studio 2003 pro running. vs2003 is now uninstalled, but I remember that with vs2003 I was able to emulate a windows ce device.
    As far as I remember the device emulator was installed with the vs2003 setup package.

Now I have installed vc2008 and expected, that here also a ce device emulator is coming with the package. But as described in before, only windows mobile or pocket emulators appear in the manager. For ce device I can only select the device, but not the emulator.

I have then installed the emulator, (ce 5.0) but I still was not able to select it. Do I need to map it somehow?

Please apologize my dumb questions, but I am normally a desktop programmer and this is all new to me.

So what I finally want is to be able to write code for win ce and emulate it for testing. Is there also an emulator for win ce 6.0?

Thanks for your answers,
    hosick
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Windows CE is a highly customizable OS, thus CE devices can be very different (e.g. there can be headless CE device with no screen at all). Same problem is with emulator – while it is possible to create some generic CE emulator (like it used to be in VS 2003), it’s not going to match the actual device you’re targeting and will be rather useless. Thus there’s no CE emulator anymore in VS.

Normally CE device manufacturer creates an SDK for specific device and includes emulator which matches the device. Then developer installs that SDK and uses that matching emulator for development.

Please contact device manufacturer for an SDK and emulator. If it’s unavailable and you don’t care about matching the device (which might be OK if you’re writing mostly device independent code like math algorithm), then simply use Windows Mobile emulator (which is based on CE) or even use desktop project for debugging. Granted, it’s not going to match the device you’re targeting, but that would be the case with arbitrary CE emulator.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Hosick Monday, January 5, 2009 8:10 AM
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 6:31 PM

• Dear Ilya

Thanks for your advice, this makes sense. I will get in touch with my manufacturer

regards

hosick
    Monday, January 5, 2009 8:09 AM