none
[MS-RDPEGFX] vGPU encoder instability with FreeRDP RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently investigating an issue with FreeRDP and the [MS-RDPEGFX] 3D encoder with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Enterprise Hyper-V guests with a RemoteFX 3D video adapter. The host is Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter.

The initial connection works fine with FreeRDP and mstsc. It is a bit sluggish, but it is ok. On reconnection, mstsc keeps working as it did on the initial connection, but FreeRDP apparently places the vGPU encoder in an odd state. As a result, I see frequent closing/opening sequences of the Microsoft::Windows::RDS::Graphics (egfx) virtual channel, with the side effect of causing black screen flickering in FreeRDP. Every time this happens, the server also tries to open Microsoft::Windows::RDS::Video::Control::v08.01, Microsoft::Windows::RDS::Video::Data::v08.01 and Microsoft::Windows::RDS::Geometry::v08.01, all of which are not implemented in FreeRDP at this point. The session is unstable to the point of being unusable, and eventually terminates after receiving an ERRINFO_GRAPHICS_SUBSYSTEM_FAILED (0x0000112F) error from the server.

I tried various combinations of options with both the Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 VMs, they behave in a similar way. mstsc remains usable and does not appear to place the server-side encoder in an unstable state like FreeRDP does. I searched the system event logs for any sort of trace left from the graphics subsystem failure, but I couldn't find anything. It looks like FreeRDP is doing something different from mstsc that the server doesn't like, and consistently places it in a bad state. I would need help with figuring out what exactly FreeRDP does or doesn't do that triggers this.

Best regards,

-Marc-Andre

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hello Marc,
    Thank you for your inquiry about RDP protocols. One of the Open specifications team member will contact you shortly.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 1:38 AM
  • Good Morning Marc -

I'll be helping you to troubleshoot further.

Kindly drop me a mail at 'dochelp at Microsoft.com' so that I can share a tool to collect internal traces for further analysis.

Thanks

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 4:45 PM
  • We worked with Marc offline and fixing TotalFramesDecoded logic in his implementation fixed the issue.

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 10:06 PM