Contact us form web part WSS 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• OK hi guys,

ive been looking for an answer to this for ages now! came across a few suggestions but really all i'm looking to do is try and find a contact us web part that i could upload to my WSS site and use in order to users accessing our public facing website to contact us via the form.

Here's where it gets tricky, most of what ive found so far give tutorials on creating a form web part using visual studio etc. However I do not have WSS installed locally on a server or machine, its hosted and as much as I can edit all site settings and do pretty much whatever i want with the hosting space and sharepoint site. I cannot do things like run a setup exe for a web part to be installed or browse to somewhere on the c:\ drive in order to copy a file for the webpart to work on the WSS site. 

What I would like is either someone telling me how I can use what i already have in place to create a contact form, i.e. via list and possibly the simple form web part or where I could get a web part dwp file if possible to upload to the hosted site and use on the pages.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:11 PM Do not think of writing your e-mail here for contact. Replies must come via the forums so everyone sees them
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

SharePoint uses 3 main forms to populate and interact with list entries / columns: "NewForm" to create list entries, "DispForm" to display list entries, and "EditForm" to change data in them. When you create a custom list, each of these are created by default. Using SharePoint Designer, you can customize them to meet your needs, as relevant.

All of this may be a little involved if your're new to the software, but it's a good skill set to have if you want to learn.

Regarding modifying the NewForm, the most useful article I have found is: http://sharepoint07.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/customize-the-newformaspx/. Once NewForm is open in SharePoint Designer, I would immediately save it as NewForm2 (or something else), and leave the original NewForm alone. I understand that you can permanently break a list's functionality by changing the wrong things in there, including deleting the default web part.

Once NewForm2 is the way you want it, the article referenced above explains how to connect it to your list, so that when items are entered, it populates your list. My thought is that you could then display NewForm2 in a Page Viewer Web Part, so that users can enter the data where you want them to. I personally haven't tried this myself.

Hope this helps. Write back with any other questions.

Eric

• Marked as answer by Lily Wu Monday, July 25, 2011 6:48 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Just thinking out loud here, but this should be easy enough to do with an out-of-the box web part. You could create a Custom List for "Contact Us", adding columns for the data you want to collect, and maybe others, such as status of follow up. You would need to enable Anonymous Access for the list, but could lock down the views by adding a "Security Trimmed Control” via SharePoint Designer.

Next, create a customized version of NewForm.aspx in SPD, showing only the fields users would input. Finally, display the customized NewForm where you want it, probably in a Page Viewer Web Part, possibly a Content Editor Web Part, or maybe some other web part. (I'm not exactly sure of which one would be best.)

Hope this helps. Would be curious to know how it goes.

Best wishes,

Eric

Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Ok so in creating the NewForm.aspx in SPD, do you mean just create a new aspx page called "NewForm"?

how do i then show the fields on this page that i want users to input to? I mean i can create the page in SPD without issue and i can then import the list but obviously it will just display as a list webpart which i can make editable or view only etc. 

and then even if i get to the point where i can get users to enter the information i want them to, how do i go about getting the information to email to where i want it to go.

I've created plenty of contact boxes before but never using sharepoint. Thought at first i could just input the code using forms in a content editor but sharepoint will not allow form code via content editor web part.

I appreciate your help but really need some sort of step by step if possible, 1st time really using sharepoint. I'm really enjoying using it and getting my head around most of it but obviously having it hosted as apposed to having it on a local server is creating a bit of blockage. Couldnt really complain though since i got the sharepoint hosting for nothing because its for a non-profit charity organisation that i work for.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

SharePoint uses 3 main forms to populate and interact with list entries / columns: "NewForm" to create list entries, "DispForm" to display list entries, and "EditForm" to change data in them. When you create a custom list, each of these are created by default. Using SharePoint Designer, you can customize them to meet your needs, as relevant.

All of this may be a little involved if your're new to the software, but it's a good skill set to have if you want to learn.

Regarding modifying the NewForm, the most useful article I have found is: http://sharepoint07.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/customize-the-newformaspx/. Once NewForm is open in SharePoint Designer, I would immediately save it as NewForm2 (or something else), and leave the original NewForm alone. I understand that you can permanently break a list's functionality by changing the wrong things in there, including deleting the default web part.

Once NewForm2 is the way you want it, the article referenced above explains how to connect it to your list, so that when items are entered, it populates your list. My thought is that you could then display NewForm2 in a Page Viewer Web Part, so that users can enter the data where you want them to. I personally haven't tried this myself.

Hope this helps. Write back with any other questions.

Eric

• Marked as answer by Lily Wu Monday, July 25, 2011 6:48 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:09 PM
  • This is all very helpful, and actually the most well explained possibility with what i have to work with (being hosted and all)

I thankyou very much for the help you have given so far and will update this thread as to how i get on with what you have mentioned. As for having these details sent to a users email, is it possible to specify somewhere i want these details sent, or would I have to create an alert for when something is added to the list and have it sent to a one of my sharepoint users?

thanks again,

Neil

Friday, July 15, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Hi Neil,

Yes, I would create an alert, so that the appropriate user(s) is/are notified when an item has been added to the list.

Eric

Friday, July 15, 2011 1:41 PM