Visual Studio 2010 Grub 2 Boot loader MBR corruption RRS feed

• Question

• I am dual booting windows 7 x64 and Ubuntu Linux with grub 2 as the boot loader.  When I use Visual studio in windows a lot, the bootloader gets damaged, and the computer fails to boot (discovered when restarting) untill it is repaired.

I don't think this is a linux problem, I think visual studio 2010 in windows is writing to the extended MBR, as part of the license manager stuff perhaps, and breaking Grub. This is a known problem with license manager behavior.

Please confirm or deny this accusation. 

Thanks

errold32
    Friday, October 21, 2011 5:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Errold32,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Since the environment of your computer is so complex to reproduce your problem in my side, I involved an expert in this case to help you resolve the issue. Please wait for the response.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 24, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Hi Errold,

Your question falls into the paid support category which requires a more in-depth level of support. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Jun Zh - MSFT Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:54 AM