none
.Net Framework 3.5 - Windows 10 Error 0x80070002 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Recently i downloaded a game from Steam. It seems that this game needs a .Net Framework 3.5, so as it said, I tried to install framework.
    Unfortunately something went wrong because there is 0x80070002 error.
    I've checked my .Netframe work with verify tool, checked the log files and it seems that Netframework is not installed at all.
    Tried to check framework in Windows features but it won't work either.
    There is  any possible way to fix it? Or the backup is the only option?
    Saturday, July 30, 2016 8:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Geseum,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

The error code "0x80070002" often means the file or folder cannot found, you could take the following methods to see if there are any system errors and repair missing or corrupted system files.

1.  Use System File Checker to repair damaged Windows files

• Open an elevated command prompt.
    • Run the "sfc /scannow" command.

2. Run the DISM tool to check and repair the Windows Update corruption errors

• Run the command:DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

Replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows placeholder with the location of your repair source.

Meanwhile, you can have a try with other ways to install the .NET Framework 3.5.

1. Use the Windows 10 DVD to enable the .NET Framework 3.5

• Insert Windows 10 DVD or mount ISO image. The source of this feature can be found in folder E:\sources\sxs (In this case E: the user’s drive letter on which the user has loaded Windows 10 Media.)

• Open cmd.exe with administrator privileges
    • Run the following command Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:E:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess, and hit Enter. After completing the installation of .NET Framework 3.5 you can see that the feature is enabled.

2. Download the .NET Framework 3.5 installer to install

The download link of the .NET Framework 3.5 installer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 1, 2016 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Geseum,

The error code "0x80070002" often means the file or folder cannot found, you could take the following methods to see if there are any system errors and repair missing or corrupted system files.

1.  Use System File Checker to repair damaged Windows files

• Run the "sfc /scannow" command.

2. Run the DISM tool to check and repair the Windows Update corruption errors

• Run the command:DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

Replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows placeholder with the location of your repair source.

Meanwhile, you can have a try with other ways to install the .NET Framework 3.5.

1. Use the Windows 10 DVD to enable the .NET Framework 3.5

• Insert Windows 10 DVD or mount ISO image. The source of this feature can be found in folder E:\sources\sxs (In this case E: the user’s drive letter on which the user has loaded Windows 10 Media.)

• Open cmd.exe with administrator privileges
    • Run the following command Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:E:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess, and hit Enter. After completing the installation of .NET Framework 3.5 you can see that the feature is enabled.

2. Download the .NET Framework 3.5 installer to install

The download link of the .NET Framework 3.5 installer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 1, 2016 8:46 AM
  • I have tried all of this and more and still am unable to get 3.5 enabled on my windows 10 laptop. My computer did not come with a disk, it came pre loaded and a recovery partition. I have also tried this "Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess" and I have tried downloading it from here  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21   but when I attempt to install it it gives me the same message over and over that I need to download and install and install continues to fail with Error Code 
    0x80070002 its getting really frustrating as much of my software and games won't work without it. Period. 
    Friday, January 13, 2017 1:56 AM
  • Hi jclund,

There are some factors that may by caused the error code 0x80070002 and this thread is not under discussion now, it is better to create a new thread for your issue and share the installation log. You can use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip under %temp% folder then upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link in the newly thread, that will help us to research your issue, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 13, 2017 9:37 AM
  • So basically people are supposed to continue to ask the same question over and over and over and over again, just in a new thread. Why a new thread? Same question, same problem, no one is getting any actual help. I feel like your grammatical style suggests English is not your first language. Are you fully comprehending that 1000's of people are having this same issue? 
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 3:28 AM
  • Hi jclund,

Thank you for your update and sorry for any inconvenience.

Since you already tried the above methods, please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Enable the .NET Framework 3.5 in Control Panel: Press the Windows key

2. Since you have not the system disk, please have a look at this similar issue, if you are MSDN subscriber you can also download the Windows 10 Features on Demand ISO, mount the ISO. If not, please download it from Download Windows 10. After that, re-run the above command again.

3. Check this issue, and back up the registry table, then update the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU folder.  DoubleClick on UseWUServer and change the value to 0. 

If this issue persists, please collect and share the installation log files like I said before, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 16, 2017 8:27 AM
  • The Registry key is not in Win 10 Ent x64 build 16226.  Can you determine if there is a comparable key?

I've uninstalled 4.7, done sfc /scannow, and all the other recommendations.  This registry key is the last hope before I wipe my disk yet again.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 9:25 PM
    • Click “Control Panel” 
    • Open “Date and Time”
    • Press on “Change date and time” and make corrections if necessary
    • Configure your time zone before pressing OK
    • Press on “Internet Time” tab before selecting “Change Settings”
    • Check “Synchronize with an Internet time server” before choosing the Time Server from the list presented
    • Press “Update Now”
    • Press “OK” twice to complete the configuration and close all open windows

After this, restart your computer before accessing Windows Update

Friday, May 8, 2020 10:38 AM