Biztalk 2006 R2 P2V Conversion to VMWare RRS feed

• Question

• Has anybody done a P2V conversion of Biztalk 2006 R2 to VMWare?  We are being pushed to do it in a short time frame and are very scared.   We have two kinds of environments, Biztalk all-in-one servers and multi-computer environments with BT front-end and sql back-ends.

Would like to know if it has been done and if there are any gotchas.

Thanks.

Abbe Meyers

Abbe Meyers
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I haven't done the physcial to virtualization conversion personally but I have seen a couple of BizTalk platforms running on virtualized platforms. The most important thing to check and test is whether or not the performance penalty that comes with virtualized compared to physical is not a showstopper in your specific environment.

Another important thing to check is whether or not the VMWare version your are going to use is on the VSSP list: http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp.aspx?svvppage=svvp.htm

Another tip is to check the BizTalk 2006 R2 Hyper-V guide. ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768518(v=bts.10).aspx ). Although this is aimed at a different virtualization platform it still contains a lot of tips and useful stuff for any other.

HTH,

Randal van Splunteren 2 x MVP BizTalk Server, MCTS BizTalk Server
    my blog

Check out the PowerShell provider for BizTalk
    Please mark as answered if this answers your question.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I haven't done the physcial to virtualization conversion personally but I have seen a couple of BizTalk platforms running on virtualized platforms. The most important thing to check and test is whether or not the performance penalty that comes with virtualized compared to physical is not a showstopper in your specific environment.

Another important thing to check is whether or not the VMWare version your are going to use is on the VSSP list: http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp.aspx?svvppage=svvp.htm

Another tip is to check the BizTalk 2006 R2 Hyper-V guide. ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768518(v=bts.10).aspx ). Although this is aimed at a different virtualization platform it still contains a lot of tips and useful stuff for any other.

HTH,

Randal van Splunteren 2 x MVP BizTalk Server, MCTS BizTalk Server
    my blog

Check out the PowerShell provider for BizTalk
    Please mark as answered if this answers your question.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:00 AM
  • I've not done a P2V of a BizTalk server, but have done other hardware.  Depending on how experienced your Infrastructure team is will be the key to how smoothly it goes.

Apart from installing the Converter service on the source hardware there aren't any changes to it.  So they can take an image of the machine and then play with it to their hearts content before they make it live.

BizTalk isn't reliant on specific hardware drivers so providing the transfer is successful there shouldn't be anything to concern yourself with (apart from the general gotchas of virtual environments as per Randal's post).

If this is helpful or answers your question - please mark accordingly.
    Because I get points for it which gives my life purpose (also, it helps other people find answers quickly)
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:19 AM
  • Any news on how this went? I am in the same situation now and they want to move ASAP. Not sure if the hardware vendor just pulled out or something, but it is happening today.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:18 PM
  • The P2V of one Biztalk 2006 R2 Test server to VMWare 4.0 was completed last week and we did not experience any problems.   I was able to do some performance testing for several of our applications, before and after, and the numbers were too close to call -- sometimes we got better performance, sometimes worse, sometimes identical results.  

The Sql server for this environment is still on physical.  We plan to let them P2V that to VMware within the next 2 weeks so that we can do some testing before they virtualize our Production servers.  

From what Microsoft's documentations about Hyper-V says, the performance hit will be if your Sql server is also virtual.  If you are moving the Sql server, you should request that it be on a different Virtual host than the Biztalk server.   Plus from what I hear from our own VM experts, they have sql servers separated somehow on the Virtual environment and the configuration is different so that Sql servers get better performance.

Good luck.  I so totally understand your concerns.  At least we got a little more time than you -- our machines are being virtualized in a hurry so that a rack can be eliminated to make room for a wall to be built for more people cubes.  IT consolidation.

Abbe Meyers
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Abbe,

Thanks so much for writing back about your experience! And the good tip about the separation to different hosts. Ironically, this is for a customer on BizTalk 2006 R1 - they are planning to upgrade eventually just not now. :)

Actually it pushed back to tomorrow. Tthey handle the SQL P2V and then the BizTalk one comes in a few days I think. If we hit any problems I will be sure to post back here and continue the conversation.

Thanks!

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Hi,

I appreciate if someone could publish the source of step by step procedure to achieve P2V (Biztak server 2006 to Virtual from Physical servers) as we suppose the start assignment in couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Venkat

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:46 AM
  • The steps would depened on your virtualization platform and has nothing to do with BizTalk.

So I'd recommend that you post this in an appropriate platform.

Regards.

PS:

Hyper-V : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc764232.aspx

VMWare : http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1018406

• Edited by Shankycheil Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:01 AM Links
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:50 AM