Unable to connect to sql server from remote pc RRS feed

• Question

• I have followed all the steps and even tried to disable firewall but nothing helps.This is the same error i keep getting and even restarted the service,enable named pipes but still not resolved.Searched all over bing but no solution to it

"ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not valid) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 87"

Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:34 PM

All replies

• Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:48 PM
  • Are you connecting default instance or named instance. Have you enabled tcp/ip. If you are using sqlexpress then yoh have to connect machinename\sqlexpress also in case of sqlexpress tcpip is disabled by default

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    Praveen Dsa | MCITP - Database Administrator 2008 | My Blog | My Page

Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:57 PM
  • Try running through the detailed steps I have provided on the SQL Server TechNet Wiki at How to Troubleshoot Connecting to the SQL Server Database Engine    

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:17 PM
  • (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not valid)

And how does your connection string look like? Are you trying to connect from an own application or with a tool like SSMS?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Hi I'm using a default instance and here is a check list of things i have done

1. port 1433 create exception in firewall
    2. enable tcp/ip for both the instance.
    3. sqlbrowser exception in firewall
    4. created port forwarding in router as well.
    5. the only thing is the dns/ip that i have not made static because my service provider has no static dns
    6. my ip is 192.168.2.4/gateway is 192.168.2.1

trying to connect using sql server as mentioned in the video on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOUDdUJ5BLY

Wanted to try to connect using sql server before connecting using connection string.

Monday, January 6, 2014 7:22 AM
  • @Sai - Is this server within your network or is it internet facing.. Because the IP provided by you is the router IP and not the actual internet IP. This might work when the server is within your premises but if you are trying to connect to internet server it may fail.

Are you able ping?

What happen when you do the telnet? telnet servername 1433?

Mark as ANSWER if I helped you today :-) www.sql-articles.com

Monday, January 6, 2014 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going?

Restart the SQL Server Browser service and ensure the status is started.

If the SQL Server instance is in another domain, you need to create a VPN to access a SQL Server instance in another domain environment.

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 1:35 AM