none
String type measure RRS feed

• General discussion

• SSAS doesn't support string type measure, but I can create a fact-dimension to workaround it. I mean create a none aggragation measure and use a calculated member like this:'
     IiF (Measures.[Comment Index] = 0,"-" ,StrToMember("Annotation.&[" + VBA!CStr(measures.[Comment Index]) + "]").Properties("Caption"))
    http://www.sqlserveranalysisservices.com/OLAPPapers/Handling%20Comments%20in%20Yukon.htm

My question is: since i need to create a none aggragation measure (Measures.[Comment Index]), which means I must query the cube at the lowest granularity withouht any aggregation. But by default, the default member of a dimension is the [all] memeber and i don't want to change it, so how it seems above link will not work? Anyway, I can workaround it, but i want to konw if i'm missing something because i don't think the document i posted above is wrong... Please help me on this.
    thanks

• Changed type SSAS_user1 Friday, October 16, 2009 5:06 AM I think it should be a discussion, I got the solution, but i still hope someone can gave me some suggestions
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:11 PM

All replies

• You need to push all your dimensions to the leaf level in this case, you could try adding something like

EXISTING [Dimension].[key attribute].[key Attribute] for all your dimensions which wont be at leaf level so that you can get data for a non aggregatable measure.

Example,

if [Measures].[Retail Price] is a non aggregatable measures and you have a [Product] dimension with defualt member = ALL, your definition could be

([Measures].[Retail Price ],EXISTING [Product].[Product SKU].[Product SKU]) to get the expected data(Product SKU should be the key attribute of the dimension).

Thanks!

Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:45 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for your reply!

But in that case, I have to overwrite many (measures, dimensions)with scope script, and I don't want to do that if I have a lot dimensions not only Product.

Now, I replace the non aggregatable with sum and it works.

http://www.sqlserveranalysisservices.com/OLAPPapers/Handling%20Comments%20in%20Yukon.htm

But the question is:  I want to konw if i'm missing something here because i don't think the document i posted above is wrong. In that document, I just need to create a non aggregatable measure.

Thanks,
    SSAS_USER1

Monday, October 12, 2009 10:25 AM
  • Anyone help? Am i missing something?

Thanks,
    SSAS_USER1
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:22 AM