Stepper Motor and MSRS URGENT RRS feed

• Question

• Will MSRS output Step and direction for servo drives and or stepper drives?  Does it output square waves the same as CNC milling software does?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:20 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your feedback.

I think you might misunderstand the purpose of RDS. It is a platform for developing robotic applications. The manufacturers are supposed to provide the necessary services, in the same way that hardware manufacturers provide device drivers for Windows for things like video cards.

The fact that we provide some samples (LEGO, Create, etc.) does not mean that we plan to support all of the possible robotic hardware in the package. However, if there is a standard for stepper motors then it is something we can look into.

I had a quick look at Mach3, and it appears to be very sophisticated and probably more suited to your application than RDS. However, I it seems that you have to buy it, whereas the RDS Express Edition is free.

Good luck with your project.

Trevor
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:52 PM
  • One challenge (for the hobbiest, anyway) is actually finding manufacturers who are providing MRDS services for their hardware. Most of what I have seen tends to be support for either fully-built robots (not useful if you're building your own) or high-end components (laser range finders, for example, which are way out of most folks' price range).

Phidgets (www.phidgets.com) produces a couple of stepper motor controller boards (and servo boards as well) http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?category=13. You can download their MRDS service source code and compile it in the latest version of MRDS, though they discontinued actual support for MRDS two years ago, for some reason. However, my guess is that you need boards which can drive heavier motors than Phidgets offers.

Art
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:56 PM

All replies

• This is up to the particular service because it is hardware-dependent. There is no service "in the box" that does this.

Trevor
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:54 PM
  • Being quite new to robotics do you thing it is too big of a task to design a service myself that can do this? 
    What exactly is the output for MSRS to the port for a motor controller, and what specification should I be looking for in a motor to make sure that it is compatible with MSRS.

Thank you for your quick reply.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:41 AM
  • If you have literally just started with RDS, then it is probably too big a job for you to write an appropriate service.

There are in fact several aspects to this problem:
    1. What stepper motor do you plan to use? And how will you power it?
    2. What controller do you want to use that can control this motor?
    3. How does the controller connect to the PC? (Serial port, USB, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.)
    4. What programming library or interface is available from the manufacturer?
    5. If it is a DLL, then you might have to write a C# "wrapper".
    6. Finally, with all this info, you can start to write a service if you know C# and RDS.

Note that steps 1 to 4 have to be done regardless of how you plan to program the robot, i.e. they are not specific to RDS.

Trevor

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:05 AM
  • Thanks for your quick reply.
    I recently retrofitted a CNC milling machine.  To do this I needed a Breakout board and three servo motor drivers.  The software I used was Mach3 which is designed for this type of application. 
    When planning the retrofit all that I need to know what 1, 2, and 3 from above.  Mach3 took care of the rest.  This is because all major stepper drive manufactures seem to require the same input to control the motor.   
    While going through this process everyone I talked to know of Mach and every piece of hardware was supported by Mach.
    On the other hand with MSRS, everyone that I talk to, including the major (Gecko) motor drive manufacture, knew nothing about MSRS and none of them provide support.  Furthermore, in my searches for applications built using MSRS that involve larger more powerful stepper motors or servo motors I have turned up nothing; no posts, blogs, videos, anything. 
    It is perplexing to me that MSRS did not include some type of service to control step and direction the way many other software do. 
    I strongly suggest that Microsoft look at Mach as a model for future additions for MSRS. 

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Thank you for your feedback.

I think you might misunderstand the purpose of RDS. It is a platform for developing robotic applications. The manufacturers are supposed to provide the necessary services, in the same way that hardware manufacturers provide device drivers for Windows for things like video cards.

The fact that we provide some samples (LEGO, Create, etc.) does not mean that we plan to support all of the possible robotic hardware in the package. However, if there is a standard for stepper motors then it is something we can look into.

I had a quick look at Mach3, and it appears to be very sophisticated and probably more suited to your application than RDS. However, I it seems that you have to buy it, whereas the RDS Express Edition is free.

Good luck with your project.

Trevor
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:52 PM
  • One challenge (for the hobbiest, anyway) is actually finding manufacturers who are providing MRDS services for their hardware. Most of what I have seen tends to be support for either fully-built robots (not useful if you're building your own) or high-end components (laser range finders, for example, which are way out of most folks' price range).

Phidgets (www.phidgets.com) produces a couple of stepper motor controller boards (and servo boards as well) http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?category=13. You can download their MRDS service source code and compile it in the latest version of MRDS, though they discontinued actual support for MRDS two years ago, for some reason. However, my guess is that you need boards which can drive heavier motors than Phidgets offers.

Art
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:56 PM
  • what does mach 3 cost?
    Friday, October 29, 2010 5:22 AM