none
Visual studio 2015: Error message when opening designer.

Question

• In Visual Studio 2015, I'm getting this error message when I open my form.cs in designer (rightclick form.cs --> View Designer).
    The message says: "Method not found: System.Object System.Collections.Stack."
    See: https://www.screencast.com/t/TpyWNoVJhhG
    I've tried to find a solution online, but found nothing.
    And I've tried to both repair and reinstall Visual Studio, and I ran "sfc /scannow".
    It seems that the problem isn't with the project, but with something else. Because I have the same problem in other projects, and in a new project I created (to test). And when I transfer my project to another machine with Visual studio, it works fine.

Can anybody help me with a solution? :)
    Friday, February 3, 2017 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonathan Saetre,

Did it work well before? You mean that a new blank WinForm still has this issue, am I right?

If a default blank WinForm still has this issue, I think we would think about the VS Environment.

A. If you run your VS in safe mode, how about the result? Please also reset your VS settings, and then re-open your VS, create a project again.

Devenv/safemode

B. We also need to make sure that it is not the project template issue:

1) Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files or(X86) \Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE);
    2) Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder;
    3) Open Visual Studio Command Prompt VS2015 x64 Cross Tools Command Prompt and run it with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator.
    4) Run the devenv /InstallVSTemplates switch;
    5) Run the devenv /Setup switch

And then re-create a new winform app, test it again.

If still no help, we need to collect the detailed VS setup log messages:

Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 6, 2017 7:37 AM
  • Hey, thanks for the fast answer. I thought I would get an email, but didn't, so didn't see the reply before now.
    I've tried everything you suggested, but sadly it didn't fix it.
    I triggered the error just before I gathered the logs.
    Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1856w4d48smb1u/vslogs.zip?dl=1

Thanks for the help :)

-Jonathan

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 11:05 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

I got some error messages from the log:

Installation Cancelled: Supported device not plugged in, Please pluig in and try again

An installation package for the product Microsoft Silverlight cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package

Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or pack

Could not create system restore point, error: 0x800704ec. Continuing...

0FC0:04B0][2017-02-02T15:09:25]i000: MUX:  ExecuteError: Package (MobileServicesConnectedServices_VS) failed: Error Message Id: 1722 ErrorMessage: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. 
    [35EC:2CC4][2017-02-02T15:09:25]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to install MSI package.
    [35EC:2CC4][2017-02-02T15:09:25]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSI package.
    [0FC0:04B0][2017-02-02T15:09:25]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to configure per-machine MSI package.
    [0FC0:04B0][2017-02-02T15:09:25]i000: MUX:  Installation size in bytes for package: MobileServicesConnectedServices_VS MaxAppDrive: 0  MaxSysDrive: 9475118  AppDrive: 0  SysDrive: 336942
    [0FC0:04B0][2017-02-02T15:09:25]i000: MUX:  Return Code:0x80070643 Msi Messages:There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.   Result Detail:0 Restart:None
    [0FC0:04B0][2017-02-02T15:09:25]i000: MUX:  Set Result: Return Code=-2147023293 (0x80070643), Error Message=There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  , Result Detail=, Vital=False, Package Action=Install, Package Id=MobileServicesConnectedServices_VS
    [0FC0:04B0][2017-02-02T15:09:25]i000: Setting string variable 'BundleResult' to value '0'

If possible, you could repair your VS, and install the latest update package for your VS2015, check it again.

I met this kind of error which was related to the redistributables library.

Reference:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38551203/vs-community-2015-setup-failed

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 11:41 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Refer to the error message in the installation log files, please have a try with the following steps to completely remove and reinstall VS professional 2015 RTM version:

1. Uninstall Visual Studio using the forcibly command like vs_professional.exe /uninstall /force or go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, right click the VS professional 2015 with update 3, Change-Uninstall.

2. Manually remove the related folders and registry keys as below:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0
    • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0
    • C:\users\user\Documents\Visual Studio 2015
    • C:\users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VSCommon\14.0

Go to the registry editor (start >> run >> regedit) and remove/rename the following registries- (Please back up the registry table before the modification)

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0_Config

3. Download and use the Visual Studio Uninstaller tool: https://github.com/Microsoft/VisualStudioUninstaller/releases to remove any remaining of VS 2015.

4. Go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, if there have any Visual C++ Redistributable with 2015 version, remove them.

5. Make sure windows update is up-to-date, reboot the computer

6. Download a healthy ISO of the VS professional 2015 RTM version (not the latest version)

7. Temporarily disable antivirus, clean up the %temp% and re-run the installer as administrator, choose the default installation and check if this issue persists or not.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Friday, February 17, 2017 7:15 AM
  • Hey, thanks for the help. I tried everything you suggested, but it still doesn't work, I'm still getting the error. I guess I'll have to reinstall Windows.

-Jonathan

Friday, February 17, 2017 12:11 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your response.

I also discussed this issue with Sara Liu or other members, generally the error code “0x80070643” means “Fatal error during installation”, it means that the package was corrupted. But it is hard to make sure that what really impacted it, maybe the VS package itself. We also met this kind of error before which is also related to the windows.

As you said that you will re-install the windows, Sorry for any inconvenience. But it would help setup the developing Environment easily for you now, a clean up Environment would be much more appropriate to setup the developing Environment, but please also run the setup as the admin and close all third party software like the firewall or the antivirus during you install the VS.

Does it work well now after you setup the clean Environment? If you get any VS IDE usage issue in the future, please feel free to let me know:)

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Monday, February 20, 2017 9:56 AM