Using SQL Alias for SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently moved the content databases for my SharePoint farm to a new SQL server. For this I created an sql alias using the cliconfg.exe. I defined the alias for both 32 and 64 bit cliconfg. In order for SharePoint to work I had to create a couple of firewall rules on the new SQL server (SQL Server 2008 R2) but everything worked fine. Now when I attempt to create a new Web Analytics Service Application within Central Admin using the alias name as the Database server name for the service application I receive the error: "The following error occurred while querying database 'Prod_WAS' on server 'server/instance': A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections."

Any ideas why? Everything within SharePoint works fine, search, metadata, user profile etc and I can see that the same server/instance name is used for the metadata server, albeit that this was pre-configured.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:42 PM

Answers