Command line arguments from setup.exe to bootstrapped installer RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a bootstrapper that downloads and installs SQL Express, and built setup.exe with the BMG tool. When I run setup.exe, I want to pass in command line parameters for the SQL Express installer.

Currently, parameters won't make it thru setup.exe to the SQL Express installer, but I can specify parameters when creating the bootstrapper that will pass thru. The drawback is that I have to hard-code the parameters in the bootstrapper.

I also tried including the bootstrapper in a setup.exe built by a Visual Studio setup project. Same results.

How can I get command line arguments from the setup.exe command line to the SQL Express installer started by the bootstrapper?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:02 AM

Answers

• I don't think what you're trying to do is supported by the BMG generated setup.exe bootstrapper.  In fact, I think that bootstrapper actually comes from Visual Studio and, unfortunately, Microsoft hasn't released the source for the bootstrapper (even in the Platform SDK).  You would need to use another bootstrapper from one of the install vendors or create your own.  I'm not 100% certain about that though, so you might want to check replies to your post on the BMG project forum on MSDN and the ClickOnce documentation on MSDN at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/t71a733d(vs.80).aspx.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Liu Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:43 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:17 PM