The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Cellular / over-the-air download limit? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the cellular / over-the-air download size limit for Windows Phone 8? (before a wifi connection would be required)
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:17 PM

All replies

• I believe the hard limit was increased but don't have confirmation so for the time being assume the limit is still 20Mb.

Also note that the Cellular carrier may impose a stricter limit, which may cause the user be instructed to use WiFi even if the download is below the hard limit.

-Eric.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:27 PM
  • I'd be surprised if it stayed at 20mb.  In any case, please update the thread when you get confirmation on the OS side.  Thanks!
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:54 PM
  • All references to the 20MB OTA limit were removed from the Windows Phone 7 documentation last year sometime even though the limit remained.  No idea why the documentation references were removed.  It's not even listed in the change history.  I have not seen any reference to an OTA limit for Windows Phone 8.
    Friday, November 2, 2012 11:16 AM