none
Can Web version of Excel Row height and Column width be adjusted via code? RRS feed

• Question

• Can the  Web version of Excel's Row height and Column width be adjusted via code such as JavaScript accessing the Office Web API methods?  It appears  the Office web API does not allow hiding rows like one can do with the Excel client. I can change the Row height or column width on the Web version of Excel using the mouse but I need to do that via code.  If I can change the row height to 1 or 0 that would simulate the hiding of a row and its content.

Is there a site to make suggested changes or additions to the Office Web API?

Thanks

Friday, March 20, 2015 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hi JimBassett,

Did Office Web API mean the API for apps for Office?

If I understood correctly, there is no such API we can achieve the goal. Most of API for apps for Office is interop with data.

If you want apps for Office supports this feature in the further version, I suggest that you submit the feedback from link below:
    Customer Feedback for the Office Developer Platform

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 23, 2015 7:36 AM
  • Hi Jim,

>>Is one suppose to look at sample code to get understanding how to use the many methods?

Yes, execpt the description for the method the online document also provied some walkthrough demo. You can refere it from link below:

Task pane and content apps for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Word

>>You mentioned "Most of API for apps for Office is interop with data." but how did you learn that, by doing examples of all the methods?

We can learn the apps for Office developing from the online document and here are some helpful artticles for us learning:

Overview of apps for Office

And in this article there is an section "What can an app for Office do?" is helpful to understand it. Also here is article about Understanding the JavaScript API for Office.

All the document about apps for Office you find from link below:
    Build apps for Office

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:29 AM
  • Sorry, added by mistake

• Marked as answer by JimBassett Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:49 PM
    • Edited by Sturby18 Wednesday, August 12, 2015 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi JimBassett,

Did Office Web API mean the API for apps for Office?

If I understood correctly, there is no such API we can achieve the goal. Most of API for apps for Office is interop with data.

If you want apps for Office supports this feature in the further version, I suggest that you submit the feedback from link below:
    Customer Feedback for the Office Developer Platform

Regards & Fei

Monday, March 23, 2015 7:36 AM
  • Sorry I thought it use to be referred to as Office Web API or Offcie Web apps API. I see now that  API for apps for Office is the current term.  On the Apps for Office API site and the sub sites there I don't see method descriptions that refer to how they can be used. Is one suppose to look at sample code to get understanding how to use the many methods? For example like my question about changing the Excel row height, how does one know if such a method exists or not look at the documentation on that site? https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj220074.aspx  You mentioned "Most of API for apps for Office is interop with data." but how did you learn that, by doing examples of all the methods? Maybe my questions are dumb but I don't know the answer and isn't this forum for answering such questions so as to get help form others sharing their understanding?

Thanks

Jim

Monday, March 23, 2015 4:08 PM
  • Hi Jim,

>>Is one suppose to look at sample code to get understanding how to use the many methods?

Yes, execpt the description for the method the online document also provied some walkthrough demo. You can refere it from link below:

Task pane and content apps for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Word

>>You mentioned "Most of API for apps for Office is interop with data." but how did you learn that, by doing examples of all the methods?

We can learn the apps for Office developing from the online document and here are some helpful artticles for us learning:

Overview of apps for Office

And in this article there is an section "What can an app for Office do?" is helpful to understand it. Also here is article about Understanding the JavaScript API for Office.

All the document about apps for Office you find from link below:
    Build apps for Office

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:29 AM
  • Sorry, added by mistake

• Marked as answer by JimBassett Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:49 PM
    • Edited by Sturby18 Wednesday, August 12, 2015 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:23 PM
  • Thank you Fei Xue for answering the various questions I asked.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Thank you for the code sample. The challenge for me is know what to use to do a specific thing.  How does one know to use "setFormatsAsync"? 

As you mentioned the code works for a table so I don't think it will work with Excel rows or columns.  Microsoft has a site for requesting features and functionality for SharePoint, Office 365 and Office web applications code development.  http://officespdev.uservoice.com/  I have posted a suggestion that the API need to support hiding Excel Rows and Columns as well as other suggestions involving Excel and Word web API. 

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:57 PM