none
MSDN Library Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a "Library" subscription back in August 2007 and the only shipment I have ever received was the Library that was labeled "April 2007".  When should I expect an updated shipment of the library?  It appears that the January 2008 shipments of the other subscriptions included a November 2007 edition of the Library... why have I not received that version yet?

Monday, February 11, 2008 11:39 PM

Answers

• Doug, please send me an email and I'll get this squared away for you.  The format is firstname.lastname@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:10 PM

All replies

• Doug:

I am checking into this. We should have an answer for you soon on this.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Thanks

Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:11 PM
  • Sorry for the delay Doug - still checking and getting some incomplete responses, so trying to clarify for you.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:51 PM
  • Thanks for checking on it.  I am not surprised it has taken this long because I had to place about 10 calls to at least five or six people who ALL told me a different story -- and all I was trying to do was activate a "retail box" subscription that I purchased from our regular reseller. 

I thought the last person resolved all of the issues since I had to fax the box, card, and other items to them but apparently since I have still not received anything, the issues were never resolved -- I was just told they were.  I even received a second MSDN Library subscription card with an October 2008 expiration after the last call, but no new updates.

Any help would be appreciated -- I would hate to think I paid that money to Microsoft for nothing -- like all that Software Assurance money for SQL Server a few years back (2000-2005).
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:11 PM
  • Hi Doug:

So I still don't have all the answers. The issue is that the Library Subscription is no longer being sold, so I am having trouble getting a consistent answer on what Library Subscription purchases such as yourself are/should have been receiving.

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:02 AM
  • That's correct, the MSDN Library subscription is no longer being sold.  However, everyone with Internet access can continue benefiting from the free MSDN Library online, where it is updated regularly.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:12 PM
  • I guess that is how MS got so much "cash" -- selling stuff they don't deliver, just like Software Assurance for SQL Server 2000, Exchange 2003, and other products that missed the two or three year SA window.

I know that MSDN is on the web but that doesn't help anyone when we are away from the web for travel or stuck in a hospital or whatever reason!  The Internet that Al Gore invented isn't available everywhere just yet ;-)!!  The truth is that the SKUs should have been yanked off of every shelf when MS decided not to deliver DVDs any more.  It wasn't pulled or I could not have purchased it, so I think that could be called fraudulent behavior.  I paid $140+/- for air.

So tell me, does a new "Library" DVD not go out to those who purchased MSDN Operating System or above?  It appears that there is an updated Library DVD that goes out every couple of months with other subscriptions when you go to MSDN and look up the shipment contents.  I tried to give MS a chance to redeem themselves by offering to "upgrade" to the Operating system subscription -- which is definitely still being sold and which I used to have -- but I was told I could not apply that $140 purchase to any type of upgrade -- but I could access the free web site with it.

Incidentally there were still references to the Library subscription all over the MSDN web site when I purchased it along with the included benefits of the Library subscription.  I haven't checked lately but I bet I could still find it if I looked!

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:33 AM
  • Doug, please send me an email and I'll get this squared away for you.  The format is firstname.lastname@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:10 PM