none
Is is possible to run VS2015 under Windows 10 without running as administrator?

Question

• The reason I ask is that I am having trouble debugging a shell extension.  My debug command is C:\windows\explorer.exe and I hope to hit a breakpoint in my extension code.  As far as I can tell, however, explorer exits immediately before I get a chance to trigger my extension.

One piece of advice I found is to not run VS as administrator because if it does, explorer will be loaded as administrator which it may not like.  If so, this would explain what I observe.

Is there perhaps an undocumented devenv.exe command line option that does this?

Thanks for any advice.

Saturday, August 27, 2016 1:42 AM

Answers

• Hi bbelow,

>>Something was attached to the process but I got nothing in debug output and no breakpoints hit.

(1)Pub the mouse on the breakpoint during debugging time, do you get any warning or messages? Please also visit the output window to get more detailed output messages.

(2) Check the Attach to process windows, whether it is related to the attach debugging type? Please make sure that you select the same types as the VS2012.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 29, 2016 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi  bbelow,

Could you describe some more about your problem and your requirement?  Did you mean you can debug the applicaiton successfully when running Visual Studio as administrator?

If running Visual Studio as administrator is a workaround, why did you want to run VS without administrator?

If I misunderstood your question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Saturday, August 27, 2016 7:54 AM
  • I think I may be able to debug my shell extension if I could run VS2015 without administrator privileges but so far I have not been able to do this.  VS2015 always starts with the UAC dialog at least under Windows 10.  This was not the case with earlier versions of Visual Studio.

So my immediate problem is: how do I start VS2015 without admin privileges?

Saturday, August 27, 2016 5:51 PM
  • Update:

I fired up VS2012 not as admin and it behaved the same way as VS2015 -- the explorer process loaded by the debugger exits immediately.  So my idea that elevated privileges were causing my problem is wrong.

Then, still in VS2012, I tried loading explorer and then attaching the debugger to its process.  That worked - the output window filled with messages from explorer and my break points were hit.

I went back to VS2015 and tried loading and attaching.  Something was attached to the process but I got nothing in debug output and no breakpoints hit.

So now I have a way to debug the extension although it would be nice if I could do it in VS2015.  The extension is the Microsoft sample, CppShellExtInfotipHandler, with nothing changed but the extension and DesktopProcess = 1 was added to the registry.

Sunday, August 28, 2016 7:58 PM
  • Hi bbelow,

>>Something was attached to the process but I got nothing in debug output and no breakpoints hit.

(1)Pub the mouse on the breakpoint during debugging time, do you get any warning or messages? Please also visit the output window to get more detailed output messages.

(2) Check the Attach to process windows, whether it is related to the attach debugging type? Please make sure that you select the same types as the VS2012.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 29, 2016 11:42 AM
  • Thanks Jack,

It needed to be Native for my example.  I now have it hitting my breakpoints reliably and in VS2015 as well as VS2012.  I have marked your post as answer.

Bill Below

Thursday, September 8, 2016 2:30 AM