none
Visual Studio 2017 Extensions and Update "cannot find setup engine instance".

Question

• After a new install of VS 2017, Tools->Extensions and Updates results in an error dialog "cannot find setup engine instance".

At this point in time, VS 2017 is pretty unusable because of this.

Monday, March 13, 2017 12:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Tyler, 

Which Edition of VS 2017 do you use ? 

I've checked it in my VS 2017 community and it works fine. 

But it seems some other people are also facing this issue, and someone has already submitted a report on develop community: 

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/25702/cannot-find-setup-engine-instance.html

I think the engineers from Microsoft will evaluate it seriously and give us an response.

Best regards,

Fletch 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:07 AM
  • Hi all, I found out that if you delete the visualstudio folder in the ProgramData\Microsoft  folder you will get this error, I moved mine to a separate drive to save space and I got the error, after I restored it everything went back to normal
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:12 PM
  • Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling it?
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:14 AM
  • Hi friend,

Maybe you could refer to the following link with David Walker's reply.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/3379/install-failed-and-cant-reinstal.html

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:59 AM
  • Hi Tyler,

Could the reply from Duke and Oscar help you out?

And there is a solution to this report now :

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/25702/cannot-find-setup-engine-instance.html

Best regards,

Fletch 

MSDN Community Support

Friday, March 17, 2017 1:33 AM
  • Hi friend,

Here is the suggestion given by Visual Studio Team:

See if you have this file on your machine: "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\layout\InstallCleanup.exe" • If so, please launch it from an admin command prompt with a -full param:

InstallCleanup.exe -full

• If not, please manually delete the "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer” folder • Relaunch the newly downloaded vs_enterprise.exe (or vs_professional.exe or vs_community.exe…) • Allow the first step to install the installer • Once the installer comes up and you can see workload choices (.net desktop and the like), close it • Go launch the same InstallCleanup.exe to clean up old build of VS • Then relaunch vs_enterprise.exe and install RTW

Reference link:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/28439/cannot-find-setup-engine-instance-1.html

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support

Friday, March 17, 2017 5:28 AM
  • Hi all, I found out that if you delete the visualstudio folder in the ProgramData\Microsoft  folder you will get this error, I moved mine to a separate drive to save space and I got the error, after I restored it everything went back to normal
    Hi. In my case, I only need to restore the '_Instances' folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages_Instances) and the problem has gone.
    Saturday, March 25, 2017 1:52 AM