Visio for Architects and VSTS 2010 Team Architect RRS feed

• Question

•  Visio for Enterprise Architects had many powerful features including code generation and Data modelling.
    Is there a way to import existing Visio diagrams into VSTS 2010?
    Going forward will Visio continue to be the preferred modelling tool or it will be deprecated with modelling becoming part of VSTS?
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:50 PM

Answers

•  Aarti,

Thanks for your question.

We are actively looking at extensibility mechanisms that support the ability to import and export data from the models available in VSTS 2010. As Clemens points out, some of this extensibility is already enabled in the CTP.

What Visio diagrams do you tend to use? Is 'Import' more important than 'Export'?

Also, I'd recommend trying the CTP if you havent already.

Thanks
    Suhail Dutta | Program Manager | Visual Studio Team Edition for Software Architects
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:29 PM

All replies

• There is no import capability out of the box in the current VSTS2010 CTP.. but because the VSTS 2010 diagrams are based on the DSL tools you can extend the functionality your self.
    I did some investigation accoording to this a few months ago, you can find the details on my blog: How to create a Visio Importer for Team Architect Rosario ...

Don't know if importing is going to be in the final version.

Greetings,
    Clemens
    http://www.ClemensReijnen.nl
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:26 PM
  •  Aarti,

Thanks for your question.

We are actively looking at extensibility mechanisms that support the ability to import and export data from the models available in VSTS 2010. As Clemens points out, some of this extensibility is already enabled in the CTP.

What Visio diagrams do you tend to use? Is 'Import' more important than 'Export'?

Also, I'd recommend trying the CTP if you havent already.

Thanks
    Suhail Dutta | Program Manager | Visual Studio Team Edition for Software Architects
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:29 PM
  • I have lot of acivity and sequence diagrams already created.
    I want to import them into VSTS now so that I can keep all the code and model at one place and version it
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback Aarti.

We're definitely looking at 'Import from Visio' and will take your feedback into consideration.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:21 PM
  •  Hi!

I never got the CTP to work (it is expired), but I have a question:

The VS2010 has some kind of uml-tool for use case diagrams.
    Can those diagrams be used to auto-generate (or assist) tests, like WebTests?

Saturday, March 7, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Hi Tuomas 12345,

There is no out of the box functionality to generate tests from UML in the CTP. But all the diagrams are based on the DSL tools which gives great extensibility... I did a pilot [may last year] with the generation of testcases [with test steps] from activity diagram... on my blog you can find several posts according to this

Testing in the Lifecycle [ALM]... a focus on automation --> a kind of introduction
    Rosario - Activity Diagrams, TestCases and Camano --> pointer to Rob kuijts blog about process cyclus tests
    Rosario Video - Generate TestCases from ActivityDiagram --> implementation and video

Tuomas: question in what way do you use usecases for generate webtests?

thanks,
    Clemens

http://www.ClemensReijnen.nl
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 2:17 PM