Cross-site lookup in SPD Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Issue
    I have a list that manages user access and want to populate it with additional information from the same list the project they are involved with.  Here’s what is currently set up:

Top-level site
      - Project list with title; code
      - Site column for Projects looking at the Title column of the Project list

Web
      - User list with Project Site Column and Project Code column

I would like to select the Ptoject the user is involved with; look up the project code in the Project list at the top-level site and write the code to the list [in the web]

Workflow
    I am not a programmer so I am using SPD as the workflow engine of choice.  The workflow is not allowing me to look at another data source [e.g. the top-level site] to get more information.

Option 1
    Create a duplicate of the top-level list in the same web I want to utilise the information in.

Option 2
    Use Visual Studio?

Option 3
    Use the BDC as a data source.  We are not using the BDC at this stage, and if we were this list are not contained in a different source system.

I would really appreciate any ideas on this as no doubt everyone has a client list or something of the like they would like to re-use.

Many thanks,

Josh

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:29 AM workflow questions go to the workflow forum. (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    • Edited by AllForOne Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:59 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:25 AM

Answers

• You could do it easily with InfoPath if that's an option, and if you go that route, then the list can stay at the top level and never be duplicated within that site collection.  That would allow you to avoid custom code with a VS workflow or BDC method.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, April 23, 2010 10:04 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Hi Clayton,

Thanks for the advice. I have not delved into InfoPath yet; however I'll have a look into it and see how I go.

Cheers, Josh

I recommend it highly.  View my blog for some insight into some cool methods that aren't always known by folks.  The most valuable ones are the Auto-Generated Filenames, Get User Profile Info without code, and User Roles in Browser Forms.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:03 AM

All replies

• You can't go across sites with SPD workflows, but that doesn't mean you can't accomplish your task, however, you need to explain what you're trying to do first.  You started off by explaining your setup, but then you never explained what you want the workflow to do.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:31 AM
  • thanks... just updated the original question
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:59 AM
  • You could do it easily with InfoPath if that's an option, and if you go that route, then the list can stay at the top level and never be duplicated within that site collection.  That would allow you to avoid custom code with a VS workflow or BDC method.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Hi Clayton,

Thanks for the advice. I have not delved into InfoPath yet; however I'll have a look into it and see how I go.

Cheers, Josh

Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:53 AM
  • Hi Clayton,

Cheers, Josh

I recommend it highly.  View my blog for some insight into some cool methods that aren't always known by folks.  The most valuable ones are the Auto-Generated Filenames, Get User Profile Info without code, and User Roles in Browser Forms.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:03 AM