locked
Controls Disappear in Custom Control Design View RRS feed

  • Question

  • User2006262721 posted

    I have a site using eight (so far) custom web user controls  and two of them have started misbehaving in design view.  When designing the control itself some (in one control) or all (in the other) regular controls (labels, text boxes, etc.) disappear from the design view surface.  They can still be seen in the source view and if the control is hosted on a regular .aspx page the control displays properly.  The code window recognizes all controls in the objects dropdown list and I can write appropriate code.  The controls run properly on their hosted pages. 

    If I switch to Split view and select controls in the source view panel a very small area od the design surface becomes selected (like one pixel for any of us who remember programming old DOS applications with 80-column screens) but no controls can be seen.

    In short, the controls work in every respect except that I cannot see all or part of the design surface in Design view when editing the controls directly. 

    I've double-tripple checked the source code for anything that may be causing this and just don't see anything.  (The controls aren't that complicated.)

    Monday, August 9, 2010 11:52 AM

Answers

  • User-16411453 posted

    I would not worry about it. Happens to me to. Try a fresh test machine first, and see if it happens. I get it if I have 4 or 5 VS's going at the same time, and I'm switching between them, computer just can't keep up. I've tried a fresh test machine like a beggining programmer, and they always displayed just fine on design view.



    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:51 PM

All replies

  • User-16411453 posted

    I would not worry about it. Happens to me to. Try a fresh test machine first, and see if it happens. I get it if I have 4 or 5 VS's going at the same time, and I'm switching between them, computer just can't keep up. I've tried a fresh test machine like a beggining programmer, and they always displayed just fine on design view.



    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:51 PM
  • User-1737796217 posted

    Did you solve this issue? If so how? I had 2 VS 2008 open and now I have 1 but the controls which disappeared do not come up for some reason.

    Thanks.

    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:34 AM
  • User1921240944 posted

    Apparently NOTHING solves this issue. Keep searching the web and you'll find that it does this in VS 2005, VS 2008, and VS 2010.

    It's quite insane that there is no solution and the best thing they (MS) can come up with is "Resolved" because they can't recreate it. Give me a break.

    I have 4 projects in VS 2008 and the latest one displays NOTHING in the Split or Design views.

    Runs fine, HTML is fine but it does tend to really hinder designing!!! The other 3 projects are fine in design and/or split view. I guess I'll try to redo the whole project from scratch.

    If that doesn't work, it's straight HTML and VS 2008 will be un-installed.

    I just hate the fact that this KNOWN problem is simply ignored.

    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:18 PM
  • User1921240944 posted

    My solution but may only be for me. It is design view disappearing but not from a custom control rather my stylesheet.

    I've had a similar issue. HTML/source was fine, would run fine but the second I went into Design or Split view, nothing was there.

    It was working fine all day and then it "just happened". I'm back to normal now and this is what I found. It all stemmed from my StyleSheet (despite that it was working fine for weeks). I have a "generic" #Wrapper that I have used on every project I've built. I use it for the main DIV (form) on my pages.

    Here was my solution (and a theory on how it got jacked up in the first place.)

    1. First, make sure all "open" pages are in Source view, including the master page.
    2. Add a NEW stylesheet to your project. In the master page, rename your referenced stylesheet to the new (blank) stylesheet's name.
    3. Now check each page in Design/Split view and you should see something (ugly since there is no formatting but something). Put everything back into Source view.
    4. Next, I copied the first section of the "bad" stylesheet and pasted it in the "new" stylesheet. Repeat Step 3.
    5. If you still see your controls in Design/Split view then copy and paste the next section from the "bad" stylesheet.
    6. Repeat the process until your Design/Split view goes "bonkers" again. You should now know the offending section. Do not include it in your "new" stylesheet. (Renaming will not work either.)

    My theory: While I was debugging, I would tweak the stylesheet to accomodate browser compatability issues and then refresh the page to see the changes. (I've done this in the past without a problem.) I believe that since I was working on the stylesheet while it was debugging, a file (temp or otherwise) became corrupted. Rebooting, and several other internet solutions did not work. This was the only thing that worked for my situation and in all actuality, this was much less time consuming then having to recreate the entire project again.

    Hope this helps... Now back to work, finally.

    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:04 PM