Multiple .rdl report files to be exported into one pdf attachment in a single email (using Microsoft SSRS) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a situation in which I have developed 12 reports in SSRS.

The client wants all these reports in one pdf (or PowerPoint .ppt) attachment to be sent via

a single email. It is easy to send one attachment per email, but sending all the reports as one

pdf attachment via a single email is not straight forward.

I believe SubReport is one option. The issue is, the number of reports can increase

gradually, which means I will have to add as many as 50 .rdl files as SubReports into one .rdl file

in the course of time.

Is there an alternate option for this, may be via some .Net scripting ?

Please let me know.

• Edited by sph1777 Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:39 AM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you please let me know if all the 12 RDL's have the same set of controls (ex tablix, charts) and similar list of parameters or are they completely different?

In this case you would want to create one master report and include all the controls in this report and this report will be used for exporting to pdf.

Or once the pdf's are exported, you could write a custom code to merge the files.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15925616/how-to-merge-multiple-pdf-files-generated-in-run-time

HTH,

Ram

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 11:34 AM
  • Hello,

- Create a table with the URL of the reports
    - Create a new main report
    - Add a table control with a dataset with the new table
    - Add a subreport into the table control and bind the Report Name to dataset

Then you can maintain the Report list over the table instead in the main Report.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 11:55 AM
  • Hi,

There is no option available to combined rendered SSRS reports into one PDF file in SSRS, but you can use custom code to combine all rendered PDF into one through iTextSharp code as below is good link for your requirment:

http://khsw.blogspot.in/2006/04/merge-pdf-files-using-itextsharp.html

I hope this will resolve your problem, please mark as answer.

Thanks!

Live life with joy and happiness! Avanish Blog: BI Learning Hub

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 12:02 PM
  • Hello,
    Following are my suggestions
    1) You need to create a single RDL for all the reports
    2) You can have page break for each report for better visibility
    3) Create subscription for this nrw report

Hope this will help you
    Thanks
    Vishal Jharwade
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 12:44 PM
  • The reports do not have any parameters at all; these reports are all charts and graphs in Power BI.

(Since Power BI does not have proper export and email options, we have chosen to convert them

to SSRS.)

All the dozen reports have landscape orientation, with the same page sizes, all of them are visual charts and graphs.

• Edited by sph1777 Tuesday, May 8, 2018 1:58 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 1:53 PM
  • Single rdl file for all the reports may not be the best option to us; since these reports belong to different business units; ideally we would like to keep reports in separate rdl files; at the month end, all the reports, from these business units, will be emailed in one file attachment via a single email.
    • Edited by sph1777 Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:02 PM
  • Hello Olaf,

Thanks for the suggestion, this solution of using table control seems interesting; can you provide an example for me to fully comprehend the idea ?

I do not understand the last point:  'Add a subreport into the table control and bind the Report Name to dataset'

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:04 PM
  • Hi sph1777,

As I know, there is no method to combine multiple reports into one PDF directly. As you mentioned, sub report is an option, but you need to add them manually in the main report. Or you could follow above suggestions to achieve this goal in PDF instead of in SSRS.

I suggest you could post requirement in feedback, if the requirement mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
    Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 5:16 AM