Can TFS be used with other version control? RRS feed

• Question

• I really like TFS's integrated build engine for continuous integration, the sharepoint site for task tracking, ect...

But it seems quite a bit is being made about these new DVCS apps (specifically mercurial and git). 

Is it possible to integrate a different source control module into TFS?  What would you have to give up to do so?

Monday, April 26, 2010 8:14 PM

Answers

• No, it is not supposed to be used like that. The only thing I can imagine is to use the TFS Integration Platform and build your own provider for synchronizing your other source control with TFS in real-time. But still, that's rather a far-fetched solution I would not recommend.

The other way around might be more feasible. Find or create custom MSBuild Tasks that get the source code from another location. MSBuild and Team Build don't really care where the source comes from, but by default will use TFS for retrieving it. You also need to tweak the .targets related to those builds.

• Proposed as answer by DennisDoomen Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joel Barsotti Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:25 AM
  • Thank you for Dennis's kindly help.

Hi Joel,

As Dennis mentioned, TFS doesn't support to be integrated with other third-party source control or Work Item Tracking tools.

If you want to do the work, you might need to develop your own tool to mirror the changes between TFS and the third party tool. Or you can use some add-in like Dennis mentioned to have a try.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:19 PM

All replies

• No, it is not supposed to be used like that. The only thing I can imagine is to use the TFS Integration Platform and build your own provider for synchronizing your other source control with TFS in real-time. But still, that's rather a far-fetched solution I would not recommend.

The other way around might be more feasible. Find or create custom MSBuild Tasks that get the source code from another location. MSBuild and Team Build don't really care where the source comes from, but by default will use TFS for retrieving it. You also need to tweak the .targets related to those builds.

• Proposed as answer by DennisDoomen Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joel Barsotti Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:25 AM
  • Thank you for Dennis's kindly help.

Hi Joel,

As Dennis mentioned, TFS doesn't support to be integrated with other third-party source control or Work Item Tracking tools.

If you want to do the work, you might need to develop your own tool to mirror the changes between TFS and the third party tool. Or you can use some add-in like Dennis mentioned to have a try.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Hi Joel,

I've also marked my reply as answer since if someone want to develop the tool to combine the changes.
    If you have any further concern, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you for your post.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:36 AM