Customize Preview Pane Style? RRS feed

• Question

• So, I've started using the Preview Pane Style do display a document library. The only issue though, is I have no control over it's size. I can't resize the title column holding the link of the document, I can't resize the web part, can't modify how wide the rows are for the remaining drill down information. What gives?

I've tried using SPD and even modifying the code for the web part, all to no avail. It seems as though the webpart is pulled from a higher level file with everything pre-designated, and any modification to that would change every Preview pane layout. 

Any advice/ideas?

Thank you in advance!

-Curt 
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:33 PM

Answers

• here's what i did, it's more of a client-side workaround:

install the IE Development Toolbar, you'll find it on the MS site
    Use the find-by-click feature to identify the web element within the preview pane. It will probably have a class name defined, e.g. for the detail section of the preview pane it uses the class "ms-ppright".

Insert css code into your page to override this style e.g. using a Content editor web part.  For example, i used the following css to make the preview pane use all of the screen estate available instead of a fixed width that was too skinny.
    .ms-ppright { MARGIN: 8px; WIDTH: 100%}

Friday, February 20, 2009 11:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you can try to modify the width of the column using Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2007.
    The steps below:
        Open the view in Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2007.
        In the "Design" window, right click anywhere on the body of the view.
        Select "Convert to XSLT Data View".
        Click once on the column title you wish to adjust.
        You should now be able to drag the column to the desired width.
    Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:11 AM
  • I tried to do exactly that but when using the Preview Pane Style, I don't have the option "Convert to XSLT Data View". I do however when using the default style. Any ideas how to make it work using the Preview Pane Style?
    • Edited by Roger Beulen Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:40 AM grammar
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:39 AM
  • here's what i did, it's more of a client-side workaround:

install the IE Development Toolbar, you'll find it on the MS site
    Use the find-by-click feature to identify the web element within the preview pane. It will probably have a class name defined, e.g. for the detail section of the preview pane it uses the class "ms-ppright".

Insert css code into your page to override this style e.g. using a Content editor web part.  For example, i used the following css to make the preview pane use all of the screen estate available instead of a fixed width that was too skinny.
    .ms-ppright { MARGIN: 8px; WIDTH: 100%}

Friday, February 20, 2009 11:07 AM