Doloto Usefullness and Implementation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help explore some questions that I have.

We are a service software provider.  I am looking at Doloto in possibly speeding up our advance and complicated web form screens we are doing.  We are using 3.5.

We are using telerik asp.net controls and most of the javascript is when it is using either ASP.NET custom controls (like scriptmanager) or the telerik custom controls.  the controls produce the script resource files.

How useful can doloto be within this set up?  I don't see it having the ability to break of dynamically created scripresource files.

Second, question, am I understanding the following correctly?

It seems that Doloto require scenario based manual configuration.  So to get this to work I first need to go through a particular AJAX scenario, analyze it with doloto, get the result of the dolotos analysis.  Take the newly written javascript files and place them in code to use and take out the old static javascript files.

And I would do this for each scenario.  Meaning I have to go through all typical usage cases, get the resulting js file and then adjust then adjust the code to use the new js files.

Do I understand this correctly?

Third Question is if I got #2 write.  While short term it might speed up the pages download, the long term affect is every time we compile our code and change it we will have to run this anaylsis phase and adjust the code appropriately?

thanks for your input!

Angela Law
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:14 PM

All replies

• Hello Angela,

1. yes, it should be useful. The best thing is to try to see what your code coverage is by running Doloto. The less it is, the more you benefit from delay-loading
    2. yes, that's right. generally, you'd choose a scenario you care the most about and optimize for it
    3. you should make Doloto part of your deployment process. You don't have to retrain on minor code changes, another you need to rerun the rewriter.
    I hope this helps.
    -Ben
    Friday, December 4, 2009 12:27 AM
  • Ben,

In regards to Item 1, is there any documentation or discussion about how to make use of Doloto in this situation? I'm finding myself in a bind of "How do we implement this as much as possible if we can't use the files straight from doloto". The reason I believe it would be difficult to use the generated html is because of non-AJAX dynamic content on our web page. We're investigating the feasibility of using what we can though. Is this possible? Has anyone written about this?

ww
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:48 PM