Random 800A0CC1 errors (Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal) RRS feed

• Question

• User-889009630 posted
    We have migrated two servers from IIS 6 (W2003) to IIS 7 (W2008) and begun to experience random 800A0CC1 errors. The 800A0CC1 errors appers from time to time on random ASP-files and we are unable to see any kind of pattern. About 1 of 10000 page views generates a 800A0CC1 error. We are running MSSQL Server 2008 with latest service pack on the same server as IIS is running on and we have activated SET NOCOUNT ON for the entire database. These two servers are running two different websites and both server are experiences these 800A0CC1 errors on random ASP-files. We know for sure that the collection is always populated with columns and rows on every ASP-file that the error occur on so why is this happening? Is this some kind of performance problem?
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 5:33 PM

Answers

• User299556178 posted

It seems that your code is correct, and you use the latest drivers.

I think we have the following options:

- Take a thread dump and see if we can understand what/where is happening and if it looks like a bug. But since it happens randomly and quite rarely, this is not the funniest thing to do.
    - Ignore the error (and hope it corrects itself some time with an updated version)
    - Change to "SQL Server Native Client" and see if that works better.
    - Open a support case with Microsoft. If it turns out to be a bug, you will not be charged. If it is crucial to fix this and you are not an expert in debugging, and it is not possible to change to "SQL Server Native Client" and try, the fastest solution is probably this.

The last thing you can possibly do before the above is to monitor SQL Server. Is it heavily loaded when this occur, or does it not respond to all requests within a reasonable time period? Does it return an SQL response that does not look like the others (that are working)? Anything strange on the network (you probably need to monitor packets)? As i said, i doubt it is your ASP code, the problem must be somewhere else, but the question is where. The other question is if we have time and knowledge to go deeper, and figure out what it is, and then mabye we need to contact Microsoft anyway.

That's the options i can think of. If i were in your situation and could not ignore it, i would start by changing to "SQL Server Native Client", and if that doesn't solve it, monitor the SQL Server...for a while. If i don't find anything, i would give up and contact Microsoft.

EDIT

I doubt it is a performance issue. I would have expected an another error message in that case, and i would also expect it to happen for more than one page, but instead a serie of pages/requests during a short time period.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 7:19 AM

All replies

• User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

To Trouble Shoot on the IIS 7 system Turn on and Enable "Failed Request Tracing" you

can then migrate your code.

Guide for Failed Requests Tracing http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/266/troubleshooting-failed-requests-using-tracing-in-iis-7/ .

Martin

Sunday, May 8, 2011 7:41 PM
  • User299556178 posted

The first thing that comes into my mind is a bug in the driver that connects to the database, since it seems to be random. Do you use ado, obdc, oledb?

I assume that everything is the same and not changed.

Check the version of the driver, any change (but that really do not tell us anything, there may be something else that inflicts)?

Monday, May 9, 2011 12:43 AM
  • User-889009630 posted
    Our connection string looks like this: Set MM_DB_STRING = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") MM_DB_STRING.ConnectionString = "Provider=MSDASQL; Driver={SQL Server}; Server=localhost; Database=XXXXX; Uid=XXXXX; Pwd=XXXXX;" MM_DB_STRING.CursorLocation = 3 MM_DB_STRING.Open And almost all of our SP connections looks somewhat like this: set Give_Blog = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command") Give_Blog.ActiveConnection = MM_DB_STRING Give_Blog.CommandText = "dbo.Give_Blog_One" Give_Blog.Parameters.Append Give_Blog.CreateParameter("@RETURN_VALUE", 3, 4) Give_Blog.Parameters.Append Give_Blog.CreateParameter("@in_id_page", 3, 1,8,Give_Blog__in_id_page) Give_Blog.Parameters.Append Give_Blog.CreateParameter("@in_ip_address", 200, 1,18,Give_Blog__in_ip_address) Give_Blog.Parameters.Append Give_Blog.CreateParameter("@in_id_blog", 3, 1,8,Give_Blog_One__in_id_blog) Give_Blog.CommandType = 4 Give_Blog.CommandTimeout = 0 Give_Blog.Prepared = true set blog_data = Give_Blog.Execute Looking at the ODBC Data Source Administrator I can see that the following driver versions are installed: SQL Server - 6.00.6002.18005 SQL Server Native Client 10.0 - 2007.100.4000.00 Any help in solving this problem is highly appreciated. PS: How do I make line breaks? It looks okay when editing but when posting all my line breaks is removed of unknown reason.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 5:38 AM
  • User299556178 posted

It seems that your code is correct, and you use the latest drivers.

I think we have the following options:

- Take a thread dump and see if we can understand what/where is happening and if it looks like a bug. But since it happens randomly and quite rarely, this is not the funniest thing to do.
    - Ignore the error (and hope it corrects itself some time with an updated version)
    - Change to "SQL Server Native Client" and see if that works better.
    - Open a support case with Microsoft. If it turns out to be a bug, you will not be charged. If it is crucial to fix this and you are not an expert in debugging, and it is not possible to change to "SQL Server Native Client" and try, the fastest solution is probably this.

The last thing you can possibly do before the above is to monitor SQL Server. Is it heavily loaded when this occur, or does it not respond to all requests within a reasonable time period? Does it return an SQL response that does not look like the others (that are working)? Anything strange on the network (you probably need to monitor packets)? As i said, i doubt it is your ASP code, the problem must be somewhere else, but the question is where. The other question is if we have time and knowledge to go deeper, and figure out what it is, and then mabye we need to contact Microsoft anyway.

That's the options i can think of. If i were in your situation and could not ignore it, i would start by changing to "SQL Server Native Client", and if that doesn't solve it, monitor the SQL Server...for a while. If i don't find anything, i would give up and contact Microsoft.

EDIT

I doubt it is a performance issue. I would have expected an another error message in that case, and i would also expect it to happen for more than one page, but instead a serie of pages/requests during a short time period.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 7:19 AM
  • User-889009630 posted
    Thank you for your reply Kristofer! I have started a Failed Request Tracing on both servers. Maybe the result of these traces may bring some light over this issue.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:59 AM
  • User-889009630 posted

After running a Failed Request Tracing I can see an error message: The specified network name is no longer available. (0x80070040)
    Maybe this has something to do with the following: http://forums.iis.net/p/1149787/1871431.aspx

We are only running Classic ASP and the link is to some issue with ASP.Net

It would be great if someone with expertise could confirm if this maybe is the case for us as well running Classic ASP.

Possible fix? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977453

Edit: I have now confirmed that this error, "The specified network name is no longer available", is not related to the 800A0CC1 error.

Monday, May 23, 2011 12:00 PM
  • User-889009630 posted
    The error keeps coming on both of our servers. It is always the same error, 800a0cc1. Very strange. Is it somehow possible to paste an extract from the failed request tracing in a reply? Everytime I try to include a xml-extract in a reply in this forum all xml-tags are automatically removed.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:37 AM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

Yes, There are restrictions for what can be posted in IIS Net Forums.

If you upload the log to a SkyDrive location you could have a link to the log.

If you check the free file sharing sites you could post the log and provide a link.

You could install "Drop Box" and upload the log and make the single directory public and provide a link to the log.

Martin

Saturday, June 18, 2011 9:19 AM
  • User-889009630 posted

Okay. Here is a link:

http://p9o4aa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pxgxyXFsMuuctW-npZdYgxOuVtolkUfdlgb2FSZTGyJNzNbqI60K3YhU9Tsp75zC1BMSpil9HUdoDA37q3anDXEwZjIC5F60s/frl.xml?psid=1

All errors are the same but happens on different lines where there are a database request.

If any one can give a solution for this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 10:38 AM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

I have not checked the log.

There have been issues with "TCP Chimney Offload" and SQL Server.

You might check SQL Server Support information 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2008/10/01/windows-scalable-networking-pack-possible-performance-and-concurrency-impacts-to-sql-server-workloads.aspx 

and turn off "TCP Chimney Offload" with netsh and test if that is part of the problem.

Martin

Monday, June 20, 2011 3:32 PM
  • User-889009630 posted

Thank you for your suggestion Martin.
    I have now checked the "TCP Chimney Offload" and it was off by default since we are running Windows 2008 on both servers.

The error keeps coming on both of our servers so any suggestion how to fix this problem is very welcome!

Both servers are running SQL Server 10.0.4064 and IIS 7 serving classic ASP pages.

Monday, July 4, 2011 6:01 AM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

I tried to get to the FRT log and the link is not correct.

Last suggestion before contact with Microsoft Support is what

have the SQL Servers been logging during the times of failures?

The SQL Server Product Support Team has several posts about fragementation causing problems.

Martin

Monday, July 4, 2011 10:07 AM
  • User-889009630 posted

Here is an updated link that will work: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=051b1cd56082f0f7&resid=51B1CD56082F0F7!121

I'll check the SQL Server logg.

Do you have any link to the SQL Server Product Support Team about the fragementation problem?

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:09 AM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

Thanks I will check the updated link and log.

The Product Support Server Engineers http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/  PSS Blog and page.

The PSS  Fragmentation

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2009/03/04/sparse-file-errors-1450-or-665-due-to-file-fragmentation-fixes-and-workarounds.aspx post and suggestions.

Martin

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:25 AM
  • User-889009630 posted
    The problem is probably caused by the database somehow since everything looks okay in the failed trace logs. Do anybody know any way to capture this errors in the database? For example using the SQL Server Profiler?
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 10:32 AM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hi,

The MSDN guide http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190793.aspx 

Scenarios for Using SQL Server Profiler

With the Startup http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173799.aspx information

is of help.

Martin

Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:15 PM