none
Optimize matching elements from two large data sets using Levenshtein distance (comparing each element to each other element) RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently working on a problem to find the best matches of data in a List namely "SourceData" from another List called "TargetData". Whenever I find a match of an element for "Sourcedata" with any element in "TargetData" which has a confidence and which the user supplied or greater I add the matched string from TargetData and the string in SourceData to a tuple which i further save in a database.

Levenshtien algorithm gives me a number which I compare with the threshold of which the user has enetered and if the values returned is equal or greater than the percent threshold I append it with the original string element of "TargetData".

The code that I have written for this process works fine if the records in "SourceData" and "TargetData" are within thousands of values and if I increase the records to a million it takes about hours to calculate the distance for each element of the SourceData.

I need to optimize the process for huge data sets. Please advise where do I need to make the improvements.

My code for the process so far looks like this

public static async Task<DataCleanseResult> PerformFuzzyMatchAsync(Transaction transaction, TransactionMetrics transactionMetrics)
            {
                Tuple<bool, int> sourceUpdateStatusWithCount = null;

DataCleanseResult fuzzyMatchResult = new DataCleanseResult();
                fuzzyMatchResult.status = false;

var matchedWords = new ConcurrentBag<Tuple<long, string, string, string, string, string, double>>();

string auditMessage = "Fuzzy match started";
                MaintainLog(auditMessage, transaction, true, "");
                Stopwatch timer = new Stopwatch();
                var fuzzyMatchData = new FuzzyMatchInput();
                decimal totalSourceRowCount = 0;
                try
                {

fuzzyMatchData = await FuzzyMatchRepository.FetchSourceDestinationData(transaction.TransactionId);
                    int splitGroupSize = Convert.ToInt32(ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["SplitGroupSize"]);
                    int splitGroupSizeTargetData = Convert.ToInt32(ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["SplitGroupSizeTargetData"]);

var threshold = (double)fuzzyMatchData.Threshold;

//Batch Source as well as Target Data
                    totalSourceRowCount = fuzzyMatchData.SourceDataCount;
                    decimal totalTargetDataCount = fuzzyMatchData.TargetDataCount;
                    var sourceDataBatchesCount = Math.Ceiling(totalSourceRowCount / splitGroupSize);
                    var targetDataBatchesCount = Math.Ceiling(totalTargetDataCount / splitGroupSizeTargetData);

timer.Start();
                    for (int a = 0; a < targetDataBatchesCount; a++)
                    {
                        int skipRowCountTargetData = a * splitGroupSizeTargetData;
                        int takeRowCountTargetData = splitGroupSizeTargetData;
                        var currentTargetDataBatch = FuzzyMatchRepository.FetchTargetDataBatch(transaction.TransactionId, fuzzyMatchData.TargetTableName, fuzzyMatchData.TargetColumnName, skipRowCountTargetData, takeRowCountTargetData, fuzzyMatchData.SourceDataConnectionString);

for (int b = 0; b < sourceDataBatchesCount; b++)
                        {
                            var currentBatchMatchedWords = new ConcurrentBag<Tuple<long, string, string, string, string, string, double>>();
                            int skipRowCount = b * splitGroupSize;
                            int takeRowCount = splitGroupSize;
                            var currentSourceDataBatch = FuzzyMatchRepository.FetchSourceDataBatch(transaction.TransactionId, fuzzyMatchData.SourceTableName, fuzzyMatchData.SourceColumnName, skipRowCount, takeRowCount, fuzzyMatchData.SourceDataConnectionString);
                            if (currentSourceDataBatch.Count > 0)
                            {
                                var validatedValues = new List<string>();

var pairs = (from wordToMatch in currentSourceDataBatch
                                             from similarWord in currentTargetDataBatch//cross product
                                             select new LevenshtienInput { WordToMatch = wordToMatch, SimilarWord = similarWord });

var matches = pairs.
                                    AsParallel().
                                    Where(pair => IsLevenshteinMatch(pair, threshold)).
                                    ToList();

foreach (var match in matches)
                                {
                                    currentBatchMatchedWords.Add(Tuple.Create(transaction.TransactionId, fuzzyMatchData.SourceTableName, fuzzyMatchData.SourceColumnName, fuzzyMatchData.SourceDataConnectionString, match.WordToMatch, match.SimilarWord, match.Similarity));
                                }

if (currentBatchMatchedWords.Count > 0)
                                {
                                   // Save the Batch.
                                }
                            }
                            else
                                break;
                        }
                    }
                    timer.Stop();
                    auditMessage = "Fuzzy match done.";
                    MaintainLog(auditMessage, transaction, true, "");
                }
                catch (Exception ex)
                {
                   throw ex;
                }
                return fuzzyMatchResult;
            }

And my Levenshtien method does the following:

private static bool IsLevenshteinMatch(LevenshtienInput pair, double threshold)
            {
                int leven = Levenshtein.Distance(pair.WordToMatch, pair.SimilarWord);
                int length = Math.Max(pair.WordToMatch.Length, pair.SimilarWord.Length);
                double similarity = 1.0 - (double)leven / length;
                if (similarity >= threshold)
                {
                    pair.Similarity = similarity;
                    return true;
                }
                return false;
            }

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Shahid,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, could you provide some undefined code information? Such as DataCleanseResult, Transaction, DataCleanseResult, MaintainLog, FuzzyMatchRepository, LevenshtienInput, IsLevenshteinMatch, LevenshtienInput and Levenshtein.

It would be better to solve your problem if you provide the above information.

We are waiting for your update.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 7, 2019 9:38 AM