none
DotNet Help Files

Question

• I've been searching for information on building Help functionality into a large undocumented application.

Obviously searching on the term "Help" doesn't narrow the scope much.

I'm assuming that there is some support for this feature built into Visual Studio so some direction as to where to look to get started would be appreciated. That includes book titles as well.

Tom Mann MCSD C#

• Moved by Andy ONeill Tuesday, March 01, 2016 7:59 PM not wpf
    Tuesday, March 01, 2016 7:49 PM

Answers

• Weiwei,

Yes, I found that yesterday and am working with that example.

I also found this one:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd627473.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I believe between the two, I can get to a point where I can create a form with an embedded WPF HTML Viewer control and access my .html help files that way. I believe I can use a resource file to carry the address/filename to support localization.

Tom

Tom Mann MCSD C#

Friday, March 04, 2016 2:21 PM

All replies

• You've asked this in the wpf forum.

This isn't a wpf question, Tom.

I'm assuming that there is some support for this feature built into Visual Studio

There isn't, unless you're talking code documentation.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/msgulfcommunity/archive/2014/04/22/creating-documentation-in-c-using-visual-studio-and-sandcastle.aspx

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: Layout Lab; All my Technet Articles

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 7:59 PM
  • I am familiar with Sandcastle. I've been also looking at the HTML Help Workshop but it appears to be rather dated.

To provide a bit of background, this is a WPF application that has recently gone through a lot of effort to create the required elements (in resource files) for localization as we try and expand our market.

The obvious shortcoming is the lack of support/help functionality that will also incorporate the languages we are currently supporting. Any help as far as a starting point would be appreciated.

Tom Mann MCSD C#

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 8:10 PM
  • Thanks for Andy's reply.

Hi T_Mann,

I'm agree with Andy, we can generate code documentation using Visual Studio and Sancastle currently.

I suggest you post your requirement to Visual Studio User Voice and then share the link here. It can let other communities who has the same requirement to vote and add comments for your feedback.

But before this requirement accepted and release, please use Sancastle temporarily.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, March 03, 2016 6:44 AM
  • Well I went through the Sandcastle process and I would agree that it is a wonderful tool for generating Code Documentation, however that is not what I am trying to do. I am trying to develop end-user help documentation (i.e. How to.....)

While this is a great tool for development documentation, it does not satisfy the need. I can get close to what I'm trying to accomplish using HTML Help Workshop but I was expecting to find some newer architecture that was more inline with WPF for the styling, functionality and overall development of a effective help system.

I'm just trying to find a way to present "Help" in the same manner that (for example) MS Office does. Most of our clients are MS Office users and are familiar with the way help is presented in that environment. We are trying to present help in a manner in which they are accustomed to seeing it.

Tom Mann MCSD C#

Thursday, March 03, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Hi T_Mann,

Sorry for misunderstanding.

According to your description, you want to create help documents for WPF application end users, is it right?

Please refer to below blog which introduce how to integrate help system in WPF application, which is similar with the F1 Help system in Visual Studio. But it is not generated by tools. It is developed by yourself and then integrate into your WPF application.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/505773/Integrated-Help-system-in-a-WPF-Application

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, March 04, 2016 2:26 AM
  • Weiwei,

Yes, I found that yesterday and am working with that example.

I also found this one:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd627473.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I believe between the two, I can get to a point where I can create a form with an embedded WPF HTML Viewer control and access my .html help files that way. I believe I can use a resource file to carry the address/filename to support localization.

Tom

Tom Mann MCSD C#

Friday, March 04, 2016 2:21 PM
  • Hi T_Mann,

Thanks for your response.

If you have resolved your problem, please share your solution and then mark the helpful reply as answer which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

If any questions about Visual Studio IDE in future, please feel free to come back to our forum to create new threads.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 07, 2016 1:58 AM