Why MD5 checksum Values are Removed? RRS feed

• Question

• With the new MSDN Subscription page "MD5 Checksum values" are no longer exists - Mike can you be kind enough to tell me how do i verify the integrity of my files which is uploaded in Rapidshare where i have only MD5 values. Since i see only "SHA1 values" in MSDN Page or is there any tool to convert SHA1 values to MD5? Please advice.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:13 AM

Answers

• Pratha,

we never had MD5 checksums on MSDN Subscriber Downloads, we had CRC values and SHA-1 Hash values, and the SHA-1 hash values are still present.   I dont know what you're doing with Rapidshare, but hopefully its not sharing with others, otherwise you're violating the terms of our license agreement, though you probably are aware of our terms!  

I dont think its possible to translate from an MD5 to a SHA-1 Hash, though it may be?  I suppose the way to verify this would be to verify your download from us using the SHA-1 Hash value, and then run an MD5 checksum on the file, and then note the MD5 checksum for future reference.

Sorry we can't be of any more assistance with this.  I wonder if others know more about checksum use?

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Marked as answer by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:52 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:52 PM

All replies

• Pratha,

we never had MD5 checksums on MSDN Subscriber Downloads, we had CRC values and SHA-1 Hash values, and the SHA-1 hash values are still present.   I dont know what you're doing with Rapidshare, but hopefully its not sharing with others, otherwise you're violating the terms of our license agreement, though you probably are aware of our terms!  

I dont think its possible to translate from an MD5 to a SHA-1 Hash, though it may be?  I suppose the way to verify this would be to verify your download from us using the SHA-1 Hash value, and then run an MD5 checksum on the file, and then note the MD5 checksum for future reference.

Sorry we can't be of any more assistance with this.  I wonder if others know more about checksum use?

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Marked as answer by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:52 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks for your prompty reply as always - I am aware of our terms and I am not intend to share but for my personal use.  I will google for the above situation.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:55 PM