TileScheduler calling a Push Service? (not just updating image) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hey all I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do secondary live tile update via a push.

I know the tile scheduler just allows you to update the background image of the tile, but what I want to do is call our webservice at regular intervals and then notify the Microsoft Push Notification Service and push the changes back to the phone tile. I'd like to do as much as possible through the phone as opposed to storing all sorts of user data on the web side and running chronjobs etc.

It also isn't clear to me then how you could do more than just update the background image at regular intervals (say I want to regularily update the BackContent of the tile)...

Is there a recommended or good way to go about this? Thanks guys.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:18 PM

All replies

• I should verify what it is exactly that I'm trying to do:

The user creates a tile.
    The app/tile calls a web service.
    The web service gets data from a database and then sends updated information to the phone's tile.
    The BackgroundImage URI returned to the phone links to another web service that generates the image dynamically in GDI+.

That's how I want it to work, I can get it working right now with the TileScheduler, but then I basically ignore the Microsoft Push server completely and just set my image to be a web service with numerous query string parameters. This seems nice for scheduling but bad for everything else (and hard to exception handle). Any ideas? I'm trying to do like what a lot of weather style apps do, and if possible I'd like to use MPNS without running a bunch of chronjobs on the server where I need to track time intervals for everything etc. Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:20 PM