Use "Find Symbol Results" Toolwindow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does anybody know a simple way to use the "Find Symbol Results" toolwindow? Suppose I already have a list of results and simply want to present it to the user using the already existing toolwindow, what would be the simplest way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,
    Max

Monday, May 12, 2014 2:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The Find Symbol Results window lists search results for the Find Symbol tab of the Find and Replace window, the Find All References shortcut menu command in the Object Browser, Class View, or the Code Editor. To redisplay this window after closing it, select Other Windows on the View menu and choose Find Symbol Results.

More information, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/s657e5he(v=vs.100).aspx

I think the blog "Find Symbol Results Shortcuts" can help simplify.

>>Suppose I already have a list of results and simply want to present it to the user using the already existing toolwindow

Do you mean you want to get the content of the "Find Symbol Results" toolwindow?

In fact, you can copy the content of the toolwindow with the copy menu like the picture above.

Or you just want to get the events like FindEvents and FindEventsClass.FindDone Event?

If so, please refer to the similar thread below.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/df0a8d6b-f3b6-4465-a6f0-25962719b25c/vspackage-tool-window-find-results-and-find-symbol-results-events-search-complete-events?forum=vsx

Let me know if they help or anything else I can provide.

Best regards,

• Edited by Anna Cc Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:49 AM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the answer, but that's not what I am looking for. I have a custom LanguageService. Now the user selects, for example, my implementation of "Find all References". Now my languageservice finds all reference by looking at my custom data structures. The result will be a simple list containing the locations of all references. Now I want to present these results to the user, by displaying it in the "Find Symbol Results" Toolwindow. The user shall then be able to double-click any entry in order to jump to the respective location.

So my problem is not getting the entries OUT of the toolwindow, but getting my custom list INTO the toolwindow.

Max

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your details and sorry for my understanding.

I think I have got you now.

Please refer to this thread " VSPackage Tool Window: Find Results and Find Symbol Results Events (Search Complete Events) ".

It includes a simple example of how to add an event handler to recieve a notification when the FindDone event is fired.

Best regards,

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Sunday, May 25, 2014 3:26 PM
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:59 AM