Windows 8 and x86 legacy software on ARM?

Question

• If Windows 8 will run with ARM processors, does this mean that legacy applications for x86 will not work on ARM devices? Should I rush out and buy a Windows 7 tablet so I can have hardware compatible with legacy software?
    Friday, December 2, 2011 7:51 PM

Answers

• Short answer: we don't know

Long answer: It will be up to the authors of each and every software (and yes, hardware drivers count as software) to decide how much they want to invest in Windows 8 ARM support. CPU is just one factor to consider, they are many others, such as screen size, battery life etc that needs to be accommodated before releasing an ARM version. 

For example, it is up to Adobe to write a version of Flash player for Windows 8 ARM. If Adobe say "I won't do it" because it just cancelled development for mobile version of Flash, then you are out of luck. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 12:37 AM

All replies

• We don't know.  Here's the latest:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/wininfo-short-takes-december-2-2011-141488

No, you shouldn't.  Current Windows 7 tablets don't have all the sensors that make tablets so cool (accelerometer, GPS, gyroscope, etc.).  Also, there should be Win8 tablets based on the x86 architecture.
    Friday, December 2, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Short answer: we don't know

Long answer: It will be up to the authors of each and every software (and yes, hardware drivers count as software) to decide how much they want to invest in Windows 8 ARM support. CPU is just one factor to consider, they are many others, such as screen size, battery life etc that needs to be accommodated before releasing an ARM version. 

For example, it is up to Adobe to write a version of Flash player for Windows 8 ARM. If Adobe say "I won't do it" because it just cancelled development for mobile version of Flash, then you are out of luck. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 12:37 AM