none
EWS API call to trgger OOF reply RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a situation where all inbound mail comes to one Exchange mailbox catch-all@mycompany.com.
    I have a way to find out programmatically who is the actual recipient of each email message.
    My requirement is to check if the recipient (one of our company Exchange serer mailboxes) has OOF set and, if yes, send OOF reply to sender.
    I can check for OOF using GetMailTips service call and get the OOF message if it's set.
    But Exchange also has functionality to ensure that OOF reply is only sent once per sender.
    I don't really want to reinvent the wheel and write my own logic for it.
    So my question is - is there a EWS API call that can trigger OOF reply for ANY mailbox on the server if it's set.
    I assume such API would also check for duplicate OOF replies given the sender address.
    Appreciate any suggestions.

Isolda

Thursday, February 4, 2016 7:18 PM

Answers

• The OOF process is triggered by the Exchange Store during delivery of the Messages to the Inbox of a Mailbox there is nothing in the EWS that will trigger an OOF to be generated. (OOF functionality can be also more complex like forwarding rules to ensure certain email is forwarded to certain people in the users absence etc).

>>I don't really want to reinvent the wheel and write my own logic for it.

So why don't you delivery the Messages to the inboxes and let the Store handle it, if you need special routing consider using the replay directory and set the X-Headers https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124230(v=exchg.150).aspx . Otherwise the best you will be able to do with any of the mailbox Api's is access the current OOF message and implement you own logic for tracking and sending OOF's (which isn't huge a simple database would do it etc.).

Cheers
    Glen

• Marked as answer by Isolda Friday, February 5, 2016 4:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Isolda Wednesday, March 2, 2016 3:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Isolda Wednesday, March 2, 2016 3:14 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2016 5:39 AM