Need to try out LDAP/Active Directory queries from web app without having a network to connect to... RRS feed

• Question

• User865464427 posted

I've just been posed a question by a customer and I'm trying to do some research and would like to do some proof-of-concept tests before committing to a response.

We host an ageing intranet which was required to be accessible by their employees from the web, hence it is not on their internal network (besides, way back in the day they didn't have the capability to host such things in house). Apparantly as a consequence they have been unhappy with the fact that they have to use a different username and password to access this intranet from the login credentials for their windows machines/email, so they've asked if we can integrate the two somehow.

I understand the solution lies with being able to communicate with their Active Directory services but I am in no way a network administrator (heck sometimes I wonder if I qualify as a developer) so this terminology is new to me. I also don't want to be the one that creates a security flaw in their network by interfacing with it badly since the problem is complicated by the fact that our server is not part of their domain. 

I'd like to have a go at writing some code to communicate with an Active Directory so the concepts are less abstract to me but our company doesn't use it. Is there a way I can test this kind of code locally on a windows 8 machine??

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:37 AM

Answers