How to handle concurrent database updates in multi-user web application? RRS feed

• Question

• User1420362459 posted

I have developed one asp.net C# web-application for computer hardware inventory management where the db connection and data control data bindings are done from code only. All queries (CRUD) operations are done by SQL stored procedures. In single user mode, everything work as expected.  Now, please guide me on how to handle data updates from multiple users. 

eg: below is the sample scenario.

Table-1: list of all Memory modules( fields: memoryID,Size,Speed, Make....,computerID

Table-2:list of all Computers (fields: computerID,Make,...)

The computerID field of table-1 contains the computerID from table-2 to which computer the memory module is added to so as multiple memory modules can be added to same computer.

Now, If two users  check the same computer configuration simultaneously they see the same configuration(eg. they see one 4GB Memory modules assigned). Then, if user1 assign one additional 4GB memory module to that computer for a total 8GB, but it would not get reflected in user2's screen. Now, user2 also assign additional 4GB memory module to the same computer for a total 8GB but it actually upgrade it to 12GB which is not desired. So, how can I handle such situation?

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 3:25 PM

Answers