none
How does Nuget Work in a Shared Project?

Question

• A project in VS 2015 is checked in to TFS.

When I use Nuget Package Manager to add packages to my project, where is the information on such packages kept?  Where are the files of the package located?  Are the files always local to the project or are there occasions where the files are installed in a folder outside the project folder?

When another user gets that project from TFS onto his own PC, are the required Nuget packages also automatically installed onto his PC?

Thanks.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 3:39 AM

All replies

• Hi K.Kong,

Thanks for your post.

There is a packages folder in your solution path after installing the Nuget package to your project. For example:

>>When another user gets that project from TFS onto his own PC, are the required Nuget packages also automatically installed onto his PC?

No, you need to add the packages folder to your TFS source control and check into your TFS as well.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, October 17, 2016 2:27 AM
  • Thanks.

I know about the packages folder. My question is: is everything needed for the packages to run totally inside this folder?

Yes, I check in the whole project to TFS, so that would include the pacakges folder.  Is that sufficient for another person to Get the project into his VS 2015 and be able to see and do the same as me?

Monday, October 17, 2016 6:47 AM
  • Hi K.kong,

Thanks for your response.

>>My question is: is everything needed for the packages to run totally inside this folder?

As far as I know, only .dll files were needed.

>>Is that sufficient for another person to Get the project into his VS 2015 and be able to see and do the same as me?

Yes, this is enough. project and packages should be checked into the TFS.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:06 AM